Dryer wire

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

busybee1952

I posed this question in conjunction with another post of mine and then thought I should actually make it a different topic.

Is there any reason I can't run my 10/3 dryer wire alongside the gasline that goes through the holes in the frame (as I've already done) or will I blow the place to smitherines if I hook this wire up?

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t243 ... wire-1.jpg
Yanita

Hi Busybee,

I do not have an answer for you, but will alert someone to get you the proper info. There maybe codes involved with this. LOL, since this is combining the 2 elements that I fear the most I choose not to respond.

Hold on...

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Pat,

I am not a licensed electrician, so you need to get more qualified opinions than mine. But I was unable to find a specific code stating that you can not run these services in the same area. That being said, I have never seen gas lines and electrical wire run as a single clump. It does not sound safe to me, but that would be just an opinion much like your own. To be sure and safe, that information should come from someone with a specific knowledge or better yet, from your local building department.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

I guess I would ask why would you want to risk a MAJOR problem? How hard is it to run the electrical in a different location? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

Hi,

Never had this asked before, so lets look at some scenarios.

First, for a problem, the following would have to happen. The gas line would have to develope a leak. Then, the dryer wire would have to develope a bare spot, touch the metal and spark at same location as gas leak.

Can it happen, yes. Is it probable, no.

The gas line goes to an appliance and connects and there is a gas valve at same connection with voltage supplied to gas valve. Normal operation that could lead to same problem, even more so.

I do not know of a code prohibiting it. However, I haven't looked as I have never tried this. I have seen this before, especially near furnaces.

However, I personally do not like it or practice it.

Easy solution would be to run wire through pvc to prevent wire contact with any leak.

PVC could be run straight over to dryer location and up through floor.. You could also run wire down below piping using wire hangars/pvc.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
hvac1000

If the pipe is black iron for the gas line most inspectors will accept that because if the 10 gauge wire did short to the black iron gas line it will not burn a hole in it.

Copper gas line is another subject. Since copper gas line is a softer material, is thinner, and conducts electricity better most inspectors will not allow current carrying conductors to be placed/taped on soft copper or tube coper.

There is a section in the NEC that relates to this subject but I would have to research to find it.

Does it really matter? Not really because the romex has a outer jacket plus the inside current carrying conductors are also covered. It would have to wear thru both to cause a short and that is why I agree with Robert that it would be a real long shot for something to happen. But it is in the code.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
busybee1952

Thanks Robert! I like how you explain what could or might happen. So, in case the mice get to playing tug of war with the dryer wire, I have run the wire through 8" pieces of garden hose with each piece of hose situated in the hole where it tends to be just a bit sharp or abrasive. I had thought to run the whole line through a garden hose but that was easier pictured than accomplished since that wire is so stiff and twisty.

I could see only two places to put the wire. One was next to the water pipes with a potential hazard of water leaks, and the other place was through those convenient little holes in the frame. I probably have more chance of being abducted by space aliens than having this thing blow up on me and I'm really not concerned with building codes. But since I'm not a chemist/electrician etc., I figured I should ask. Thanks everyone. Mission accomplished!
chasMB

Technically NFPA 70 (Electrical code used in most of the country) Requires a "listed" bushing in those holes in the metal to insure the wire insulation does not get nicked or cut as it is pulled into place. Also protects the wire from wear as the structure vibrates and could wear a hold through the insulation.

IF you leave this as is I would make double sure the frame of the home is bonded to ground.
Harry

Hi

Good advise on the frame ground.

Around here electrical wire thru garden hose would not pass. I hope busybee considers it a temp repair and fixes it correctly.....soon.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?