J.B Weld fixed my screens.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

Our window screens are all original and at least 20 years old.
The little plastic corner locks [plastic angle pieces] which hold each rail together at the corner had turned to dust. They dissolved when i touched them and the frame flopped out of square like a limp fish.

Too hard to try to dig out each one and insert new ones.
I went to Lowes and bought a pack of 4 little metal angle brackets. The ones with 2 screw holes on each side.
I placed each corner bracket so they wouldn't interfere with how the screen fits into it's frame on the house.
I market each outline on the frame then mixed up a little batch of J.B.Weld.

A little dab on the frame and placed each angle bracket in place. 8 clamps for 4 corners.

4 little pieces of wax paper over each bracket and the 2 spring clamps, one for each side rail corner. This keeps the glue from seeping through the little screw holes and sticking to the clamps.

I set it aside for 24 hours and it was a square and strong as it was 20 years ago.

These brackets must be placed on the side of the screen opposite the side that has the rubber splines, so they don't interfere with screen material replacement.

The first screen I repaired has 4 large washers, one at each corner. This is before I spent $1.29 for the "L" brackets.

It is amazing what you can do to save money, not to mention I love J.B Weld.

Everyone probably knows this trick, but it was new to me.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Mark
Site Admin

Thanks for the tip. Definitely an inexpensive repair.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
busybee1952

Lorne, I love it! Thank you! Maybe you could even tell me how to make screens since I only have a couple and have resorted to duck taping screen material on the outside of the trailer.
Lorne

Lowes has aluminum screen frame in lengths, screen material and the plastic corners.

You would need to cut the corners with a mitre box and saw to the size of your windows. You might be able to use sheet metal screws through the screen frame and then into the metal window frame of the trailer.

If you only have a couple of windows you might check with a local window screen store and have them make a couple up for you instead of investing in the tools. Lowes might have the name of some one they know.

Without windows that were designed for screens I think the only way to install them would be to screw them right to the window frame.

A wood frame is always possible using 1x2"s like the old days.

Duck tape is great stuff, but it always looks like duck tape.

Google for how to make window screens. There are many sites that can help.
Good luck.
Another silly thought.
3M spray glue on the window frame , stretch the screen material and stick the screen cloth to the frame. Might work. Who knows.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
JD
Site Admin

There are some aluminum mobile home windows that do not use a separate framed screen. They will have a narrow channel going all the way around the window itself, that accepts the screen and rubber spline. You would just use a ladder and install the screen onto the window frame the same way you would re-screen a window screen.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

Hi busybee,

I used the method that Lorne mentioned years ago on our home! Our screens were useless when we moved in here!

Back then, the kits, plus screen cost me about $8.00 a piece. They are still in place and working well! All you need is a miter box, a hack saw and the kit! If you haven't replaced screens before a spline tool is helpful. All are pretty cheap tools.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Harry

Hi

Just wanted to add:

J-B Weld makes a steel reenforced product called J-B Stik. I used it to fabricate a bearing while restoring my Kentucy #1 Sugar Cane Mill.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?