Black Mold

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Willow

We were pulling those strips off today and found that around one of the windows it is wet and covered with black mold throughout the wall and seam. Only the board beneath the window is bad... what do we buy to replace the wall in that space and where?

The wood that is in the window bay is rotted too.

Any advice on how to waterproof the windows for the future would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Yanita

Hi Willow,

Went to look for a profile on your home...none, so I have no info to go on.

What type of wall covering do you have, also roof type, and what kind of siding, gutters? All this is relevant to finding a water leak.

Check around the windows (outside) for dried and cracked caulking and replace accordingly. Old will need to be removed and new applied.

As for the extent of damage all wet wood will need replacing.

Please complete your profile so we can better assist you.

Thanks, Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Willow

I can't figure out how to access my profile. It keeps taking me in circles.
Yanita

LOL, I can help, but need better info on what it is or is not doing...

Yanita
Yanita

I just clicked on your name, you have me already as a friend so you should have your MPS link...it is in the grey/blue task bar above.

If you see friends something up there, click it, respond to it, then click refresh and you should have MPS link in the same place. These 2 links are interchangeable.

Have you read the website questions forum pertaining to this or read the numerous threads about this scattered about the forums?

If you still need help please let me know and I will assist further.

Yanita
Willow

Above in the links there is nothing that says PROFILE. I have read all the posts and I do believe I may be one of those people who need to have this function manually turned on?

All I have is...
FAQ, Search, Memberlist, Usergroups, Album, New Friend Req, Messages, Blogs, Blog CP, My Blog, Weblogs News, MPS Search, MPS Groups, Log Out

When I click on New Friend Requests it opens to a page that says, "You have no new requests."

Am I overlooking something?
Yanita

You have to activate it...click the new friends request as I said in the above post...respond to that, a box will pop up, approve, deny.
After you do that click refresh on your browser. Go back to where the friends request icon was and there will be a MPS link...My Profile Space.

Yanita
Willow

When I click on New Friend Requets it opens in a box and says No Pending Friends. There is nothing to click on. Sorry!
Yanita

ok, click refresh and you should get the MPS link in the same place.... do not despair we will get you there.
Greg

Willow, After Yanita gets you through the computer end, it will be time to get into the home end. I always say to PLAN for the worst and HOPE for the best. that said I would plan on replacing the window & frame. Since I don't know what type of siding & interior wall you are working with I can not give advice on how to proceed. If you have Mark's book he goes into detail on the job. I'm sure others will add to this . Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

I had black mold in bathroom where floor had gone bad . It worked its way around water heater walls . I sprayed it with bathroom cleaner with bleach . It took a few time but it did kill it. Walls are clean and white now .Havent tried to pain them yet. the framing in the walls around the tub had some too , all gone now and the wood was okay .