Interior wall insulation?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

Is there any benefit to having insulation inside the interior walls other than for sound deadening?

While putting mud on the grooves in the wall paneling I saw there is no insulation. I was thinking you could pump in form.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Greg

Unless you want to use an a/c unit in one room I could not see a reason (other than sound proofing) to insulate an interior wall. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

You would not want to use foam insulation. As the stuff expands it can easily cause bows in the walls.

Also you do not want it to get into the wall receptacles.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Lorne

Thanks for the confirmation of what I was thinking.
The wall I'm working on could use some "Bowing out" though.
What ever factory and what ever employee put this home together must have hated their customers. I believe it was Craftsman in '87.
I really love a challenge though and this one is testing me out real good.

I just love the smell of drying drywall mud in the morning.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
busybee1952

When I was making my living room into a home theater, I figured I should insulate the wall between it and the next-door bedroom in order to deaden the sound. I took the paneling down on the living room side and put in insulation and then I took the paneling down on the bedroom side and insulated that too. It didn't do any good as far as deadening the sound. It was a total waste of time and money. After doing some research on "quiet rooms" and such, I found out it is almost impossible to deaden sound in a mobile home because of the way they are built.
Lorne

Depending how many people listen to you're home theater at one time you could buy wireless stereo headphones and a couple extras . The best way to hear stereo.
I use them on my tv when my wife is asleep and they really get you into the movie better. You can crank them up until your eyeballs pop if you want to.

Get high quality ones, so they reproduce the loud base sounds, if you like BASS.

The only trouble is that they do not do the surround sound like speakers do.

As for the wall insulation the only way is to install drywall then 1x2 firing strips and then another layer of drywall. Or better yet would be cement board.

Headphones are cheaper. I have had the same set since the late 80"s. You can walk to the kitchen or even outside the house and still listen to the movie. I LOVE GADGETS.
Maureen

LOL! Our master bedroom is right next door to Ryan's bedroom.

When we first moved in, Ryan was in grade school. He used to complain that his dad left the TV on late at night, causing him little sleep. Once he starting working in high school, he went out and bout himself a new TV, surround sound and new computer. Warren's complained ever since. Our home does have insulation.

Here's my theory, insulating walls in our homes does very little good for sound. The reason I've found over the years is that most of the sound travels in our heating/AC ducts. This might be because our homes sit higher off the ground. I'm sure that the type of skirting we may have might play a part also. I might be wrong, but it makes sense to me LOL!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'