Pex Piping

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mdmaynard

Greetings gang!

I am getting ready to run piping for water. I was pricing pex and I noticed there is a flexpex-R and flexpex-B what is the difference between the -R and -B?

I am connecting to a well house that is 180 feet away. So would 3/4" plex be okay? or should I use pvc?
Thank You
Martin Maynard
In Memory of our Daughter
Bailey DeLonais Maynard
Jan. 13, 2005 - March 28, 2005
S.I.D.S. It's REAL!!!
www.healingokhearts.org
Mark
Site Admin

Hi Martin,

I'm not sure of the difference. Perhaps one is preferred for exterior/underground use, and the other isn't.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Harry

Hi

It does get somewhat confusing.

Flexpex is a brand name. It is pex-a. This variety of PEX is produced by the peroxide (Engel) method. This method performs "hot" cross-linking, above the crystal melting temperature. It provides more consistent and uniform cross-linking with better control over the production process.

Flexpex (which is pex-a) comes in “blue writing” and “red writing”. Some suppliers refer to it as “B” and “R”. The blue and red writing can help you route the hot and cold lines without having to rig colored tape or tags.

They both have the same specifications.

Pex is ok for underground applications. Pex is not good for direct sunlight applications.

Below is a photo with the blue writing.

Harry

Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
mdmaynard

Great, thanks for the info!

Sorry for the Delay in responding. Our 4 year old son was Attacked by stray dogs Wednesday evening. He had 50 lacerations to the head, ear completely tore off, bite marks on the skull itself, and multiple other bites. He was in Surgery 4 hours but Thanks be to GOD he is recovering quite well. As a matter of fact he is already home.

For now we have just ran a water hose from my parents mobile to a special connector on our mobile and getting water that way until we actually run the piping from the well house to the mobile.

I appreciate the clarification on the difference of pex, harry!
Thank You
Martin Maynard
In Memory of our Daughter
Bailey DeLonais Maynard
Jan. 13, 2005 - March 28, 2005
S.I.D.S. It's REAL!!!
www.healingokhearts.org
Yanita

OMG,

So sorry to hear about your son.

Wishing him well in his recovery. Thankfully children do have the ability to heal much quicker than adults.

Hopefully him being so young he will not become afraid of dogs.

Best of luck to you and your family.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi Martin,

So sad to hear about your son! I wish everyone who owned pets were responsible. Then there wouldn't be stray dogs, or cats! I'm a dog lover. There have only been a few times that our dogs have ever got out a our fenced area. We've always kept a close eye on them. To us, they're part of the family! Not everyone feels that way, obviously. We have our share of strays around here also.

I'm glad to hear that your son is home, and on the mend! Make sure that he hasn't been traumatized mentally. Kids heal fast as far as physical injuries go, but not so much as far as the mental aspect.

Make sure that he's healed physically and mentally!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
construct30

I use a lot of zurn PEX to make repairs to PB pipe. Zurn even makes a fitting to transition from PB to pex in 1/2" and 3/4". I wish they had the fitting to go from the 3/8" PB to PEX. There are at least a couple of different types of PEX. Some connect with the crimp tool like Zurn and Vanguard and some use an expansion tool like the Wirsbo. The Zurn type and Wirsbo type do not mix. Use the same brand and the right fittings crimps and tools to be sure.

My son was attacked by a dog at a park about 14 years ago. My other son was there and is terrified of dogs to this day. I would suggest some professional counseling to avoid future problems for anyone involved.

mark