Need advice

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Indians

We just moved into this mobile home about 3 weeks ago. And I have a couple of questions? Can anyone help me?

The home is a 1992 Friendship single wide.

I was wondering if you can put plaster or clay on the wall boards? Or does anyone have any ideas on how to make the walls look like they have some kind of texture?

Also we have a smell that is coming from the drains...After taking a show and walking into the hallway by the master bed room you can really smell it. I can't even describe the smell. I have poured Clorox, "The Works" down all the drains can't get rid of it. It seems to help a little for a week and that is it. Please help!!!

Thanks for your advice in advance....
squirt13

What I did was mix white joint compound and a little ( sm spoonfull) of three different paints that work together and rolled it on my walls. It looks great, no two areas are the same. It is also great if the walls are not smoth.Image
Greg

There are many ways to give a texture look from using a texture roller and paint or even joint compound.
The smell sounds to me like a drain leaking. It will take some looking around on your part. Check under the sinks first, you may have to go "downstairs" and take a close look also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Yes, there are many different ways to texture your walls. Joint compound applied with out smoothing it makes a real nice texture, looks like a venetian plaster. I have done this to my entire dining room and one large wall in the master bedroom.

If you do an on site search and type in textured walls you will find many threads about this in the decorating forum.

As for the plumbing also check that your vents are not plugged. Exercise caution putting different chemicals down the same drain, some can cause reactions with each other that are deadly.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Indians

Ok, not to sound stupid...but what vents? And were are they located? I had a trailer repair guy out and he couldn't even tell me what the smell was. He looked under the sinks for traps and couldn't find any. So he said "Not for sure..." and left. Sorry...but what an idiot...Hope I didn't offend anyone...
Robert

Hi,

The vents will be these type which are inside home at the drain area of each fixture:

http://mobilehomerepair.com/checkvent.html

OR, they'll be regular roof vents extending up through the roof.

Also, IF you truly have no traps under your sinks, tubs, showers, etc..., this may be problem and should be resolved asap.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Indians

So this is what could be smelling in the hallway by the furnace is the roof vent? How do you replace those?
Robert

Hi,

Possibly, can't say for sure. Odors can be carried and may not be from exact area you smell it.

Could also be the furnace area itself if you have a/c. A-Coil could need cleaning, along with drain pan and drain line.

Need to check those if you have a/c, check all those vents and install traps in all drains.

Those interior check vents just screw on/off of the drain .

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Indians

We just got an AC put in when we moved in. There was no A coil NO nothing. I will check the vents.

Thanks again
Robert

You're very welcome. If there are no interior check vents, check roof vents.

Those traps really need taken care of if not there. Dangerous more so than just an odor.

Robert