HELP A/C runs ALL day still HOT as heck in here!

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Frustrated as all heck here, a bit of background,

1989 was the year this house was built, the ducts were full of broken up fiberglass and were FULLY replaced with aluminum new ductwork then insulated from underneath the home, the "A" coil was cleaned, the ducts are all new aluminum no more fiberglass, the compressor outside was also replaced new and is a 3 ton coleman unit, I also had all new windows put in about 3 weeks ago (replacing the 20 yr old ones with much more efficient ones).

The house is just over 1800 sq feet long, I have cardboard up in the skylight of the kitchen (our only skylight) to keep more heat out, all blinds closed, our windows are NEW and highly rated for keeping sun and heat out, a HUGE improvement over what was in here and what was 20 yrs old.

I figured between the new ducts, acoil cleaned, new 3 ton compressor, the new windows, cardboard and blinds closed, we would have a cool house in summer and warm house in winter.

NOPE! today was almost 90 outside, the ac was set all night all day 24/7 it runs, I have it set at 70 degrees, and the house was at 84 today by about 2 pm, just miserable in here, right now it is 1am as I write this and its still 78 degrees in here (im clammy sweaty) and that darn ac runs fulltime, all the vents are ICE cold too, just the house never COOLS down.

I keep lights off, I run fans, I have the skylight blocked, blinds closed, new windows, new compressor, cleaned a coil, new ducts and they are insulated under home, vents ARE blowing ice cold air out of them, checked every corner and area of house i can think of for leaks...

The way the furnace is positioned and the way the ducts run, the bedroom side has the furnace at the back, that side of the house has more direct output pressure and is a tad cooler (also doesnt have the sun beating on it daily) the opposite side which is the kitchen livingroom diningroom and my computer room are all on the other run of duct which is still blowing cold just less pressure so to speak, and this side gets the sun all day, and if you walk from the bedroom side to the livingroom side there is a noticable difference in temp yet overall with fans going etc its still hot as heck in here!

Ok I don't have a ton of $ or experience in mobile homes, but where or what can I do or have checked or whatnot to make this house bearable in the summertime? Even the bedroom side is hot just not "as" hot as the livingroom side, i have tried closing off ALL vents on the bedroom side during the day to give the hot side all the pressure and ac but that also does no good really either...

The way the ducts run is a connection back by the furnace under the home to the livingroom side, then there is a long run of both under the home to the ends, by the time it gets to the back room on the far side the pressure is almost nothing, yet the whole house is hot even in rooms that feel pretty strong and cold pressure wise, I was thinking maybe a booster/blower in the main divider part to boost airflow into the livingroom side or maybe half way down another cross over duct to help equalize pressure?

Those vents are blowing and they are ice cold to the touch, I have gone around closed the flue on the fireplace, felt around baseboards, windows, doors, and crown moulding, in cabinets, all over actually trying to find spots that might be letting hot air in, found a few under the sink i gap sealed and that stopped the warm air rush I felt (around pipes and crack along bottom edge) but I cant find anything big or signifigant leaking in hot air etc, wife seems to think maybe it is a lack of insulation in the ceiling? I dunno, under the home though the ductwork they laid in is fully insulated and seems solid from looking up under there (i checked in on the work as they were doing it) seemed pretty well protected and insulated too and the air that does come out is ICE cold, most vents down on the furnace side are blowing pretty hard too, so i dont think a main fan is bad or something, im wondering if a secondary fan might help boost airflow but overall it feels decent pressure wise in most of the house and is cold so it "should" be doing enough in the main house to give some relief vs being in the 80s in here.

Guess I am just tired of throwing money at this trying to find out what is wrong or what i can do or buy to help it then finding out that didnt work or help.

Any suggestions as to what this might be, why is this happening, just very frustrating...

Sorry if I am missing some key detail, let me know and I will add it here, just tryin to find some relief...

Bill
Yanita

Hi,

Could you post make and model # of the inside and outside units.

Thanks, Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Hi Bill,

Will need the model numbers as Yanita stated. Just from reading your post, I see three major red flags.

One is that if that A-Coil is original and 18 years old, it's outlived its life and in dire need of replacement.

Next, at 18 years old, the entire condenser unit should have been replaced, not just the compressor.

Thirdly, you are most likely a half ton to one ton undersized for that home as you described it.

A Manual J Load Calculation would tell for sure, but you would most likely need a 4 ton unit or at the least a 3.5 ton.

You can get a good digital meter and take temp at return air grille, at closest to furnace supply register, outside ambient temp and the air temp of air being blown out of outside condenser unit.

Could be a problem with unit, but most likely it is doing all it can due to above.

You would need those temp checks, pressures checked and a total inspection by a competant Tech to know for sure if anything else is wrong, but those 3 are definate problems.

Would also be helpful to know what blower assembly or blower motor is in the furnace.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?

Ok I will be 100% honest I don't know what I am looking for but here are some pics of both the inside and outside units with lots of numbers and model info on both, i hope this helps, i know that entire unit that sits outside was replaced about 6 months ago, I know they cleaned the a coil, i saw them test the output at the vents it was blowing COLD 70 degrees temp showing when the thermostat was set at 70 etc,

http://moyeslucas.com/aircond.html

is where I posted the pics at

the outside thing says coleman md BRCQ0361BDG
the inside furnace door says MILLER on it (by the handle where you remove the door) inside its a mess but it does say 6901 heating cooling blower, nd the unit under it says MGH-100ABWN-06

I dont know alot about the history of the home, its about 20 yrs old here, we have lived here close to 2 yrs, last summer it was horrible hot and we thought it was the junky singlepane leaky seal windows, got those replaced a few weeks ago yet still as I sit here today all day ac on 70 the house is 83 degrees :(

Having the new windows in and that outside thing replaced i figured we were set and the unit DOES blow cold ice cold even to the touch, i wonder is the blower maybe not up to snuff or does the inside part need to be also replaced?

I hope some of these pics and model numbers help?

The house is just over 1800 sq feet, i know 12 of the windows face the hot sun side of the house all day long, and one skylight in the kitchen rains in heat, have that covered with cardboard, that helps ALOT, all windows have blinds drawn closed, the cooler side of the house (side with furnace on it) does seem to blow a bit more air and has all the bedrooms, the livingroom side (that run gets a feed under the house on furnace end) blows a bit less pressure wise and is the hot sun side of the house, its pretty much a sauna in this place tho no matter where ya go sad to report.

The ducts were all old fiberglass filled chewed up yuck, they were replaced with all aluminum ducts about 9 months ago, so they are nice and clean cleared out no blockages, insulated from under house pretty good etc.

Bill
Robert

Hi Bill,

Ok, so it was the outside Condenser Unit and not the compressor that was replaced ?

At that age, they should have replaced the A-Coil as well. An 18 year old A-Coil will never work with a new Condenser.

Also, the new Condenser is 10 Seer and those are no longer made.

Best case would have been 13 Seer for best efficiency and for future problems that may arise.

Also, 3 tons is most likely undersized. I would say a 4 ton would be closer to suit your homes needs.

With a 10 Seer, undersized new condenser and a 10 seer undersized 18 year old a-coil, your problems are inevitable.

Go to this link and read about cleaning the outside Condenser:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article ... ioner.html

You need to get those leaves and limbs from shrubery away from the unit and also remove all the hair from the Condenser coil as seen in those pics.

Here is another link article on cleaning blower motor and wheel:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article ... lower.html

The inside a-coil definately needs replaced if it is over 10 years old.

Then get the refrigerant charge checked.

You should be getting around 55* air out of registers. Also check those temps as advised in earlier reply.

These are the main things you can do to try and help some, but being undersized, you'll never see the results you are seeking.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?

yeah it was that outside box that was replaced, then they ran a new line in and re-pressurized the system, said the acoil was fine (not sure if its the original from 18 yrs ago or not) only been here less than 2 yrs, I did notice that thing outside had some leaves and gunk on it, will check into how to clean that from your links, inside i dunno how old that acoil or any of those other parts are...

Tomorrow I am gonna call a different ac place than the ones that did the original replacing of that outside part.

Is the 3 ton thing that box outside? I am pretty uneducated on all this stuff as you can tell hehe

Right now its 1230 at night and it is still 78 degrees in here with the ac on 70 all day it got upto 84 in here around 3pm ughhh..
Bill :)
Robert

Hi Bill,

The outdoor unit is your Condenser Unit. It has the compressor, condenser fan motor and fan blade, run capacitors, contactor as main components.

It is 3 Tons.

Your inside A-Coil is probably 3 Tons as well.

Read those articles real good and get a second opinion.

If you take the temp at return air grille (filter area) and at closest register supply air to furnace, you should have an 18-22 degree difference.

16* - 20* at very least.

Thanks,
Robert