What's this?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

VCFD

I hope somebody can help with this 1!

On my living room wall located above the thermostat and smoke detector is some sort of black plate. It kind of looks like a mounting plate of some sort. There are electrical wires capped off inside it and they are live.

I just can't figure out what it is and it's driving me crazy! Does anybody have any ideas? There are a couple of pics of it in my album.

Thanks.
Whatever It Takes
Jim from Canada

for a clock?? We have a clock built into the wall that came with the home. Kinda cheesy though,lol

Jim
gram2logan

Just a wild guess, but could it be for a doorbell??
Stop talking before people stop listening!

You didn't say how far up the wall the wires are, but I discovered the same thing ater I moved into my MH. Turned out to be an electrical box for a set of matching wall sconces. I've since dug out the other box and installed modern fixtures. I love the retro/modern look. Wall lights were quite popular in living rooms of MHs built in the 70s.
geraldk

just a guess but think its for a light but its up kinda high.coulda been a door bell an while im looking your smoke detector seems half way up your wall think it would be better on the ceiling where the smoke would be ..every second helps if a fire breaks outesp. in a mobile home but you being a vol. firefighter are probably a better judge than me
im not a dr. but ill take a look
Yanita

Hi,

I am going with the doorbell chime or a wall sconce.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
VCFD

Thanks for the ideas! There is a doorbell located in another part of the house so I don't think it's that. Some sort of wall sconce sounds reasonable Yanita.

I'm going to try and get an electrician friend to trace those wires.

You're right Gerald, that detector would be better on the ceiling. I'll have him look into that too!

Thanks again everyone!
Whatever It Takes
Greg

Possibly just a junction box that someone added. or if it is in a hallway a former light. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
readysetgo

Is the current smoke detector a battery operated one. Maybe they just took the old one off and replaced it with a new one that uses batteries. Lazily they didn't want to cover up the hole for some reason. Just a thought.