front door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

momof8

The front door in our mobile home has a large oval glass from floor to ceiling on the inside with an all glass storm door on the outside. I really dislike the door and with the way the home faces it really lets in the hot sun which is fading the carpet. Can it be replaced with a normal door that can be purchased from Lowes or Home Depot or does it have to be purchased from a Mobile home dealer or supplier ? I would love a screen door on the ourside to let in air when it is cool outside and a solid door to close when the sun hits the front of the house.
Yanita

Hi,

Yes, you can replace your door with a traditional door. Although you will need to check your interior wall height to make sure that you can accommodate the size, and build the correct header. Also you might have to relocate interior wall switch or/and outside light. There are lots of threads on door replacements. Check them out, and if you have further questions certainly post back.

Have a great night,

~Yanita!~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
hvac1000

I carefully installed some window tint material on my door to solve the sun problem. It also made it so people could not see in my home from the door. Now I do not feel like I live in a fish bowl.

This cure was way cheaper than a new door.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
momof8

That would definitely be a good start to solve the sun problem until we can get the door replaced.
Yanita

Hi Momof8,

You can get the tint at Wal Mart in the auto dept...for a door that size I used the tint sheets for limos.

Also if you want something more decorative at Home Depot they have the ones that look like stained glass, various designs...

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!