AC Replacment

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

adr1209

When it comes time to replace our AC, is it possible to convert everything to one of those all in one units with everything outside? I ask because the space for our old unit is very small and we might have a hard time finding one to fit in the hole. It seems as if the home was built around the unit!

Amy
Robert

Hi,

Yes, you can go to a Packaed or Self Contained Unit. Will have to have some ductwork modifications and a return air grille installed in the home.

However, may be able to fit one in, just give the dimensions and go from there.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Yanita

Hi,

We just did this, had a self contained unit installed last weekend! It is wonderful to no longer having to listen to the blower motor.

Our return air was installed right where the old furnace used to be, and above it we gained a small closet! :lol:

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Hi Yanita,

Did you get one with Furnace also inside outside unit ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Yanita

Hi Robert,

We got a Goodman 3 ton self contained (heat/air) unit.

We had the manuel j done and this is what they came up with. I researched several different brand names and came upon the Goodman, seen them alot around here.

What worked out great was as I was researching on this particular site it had a place to fill in your area for a certified installer...LOL, one of our real good friends.

Got the unit for an excellent price and install is a barter exchange.

~Yanita~

Just pulled the paper work out..Goodman package gas-electric heating and cooling system. model#GPG13360901 serial#0702069179
Robert

Is it a HeatPump ?

Self-contained is A/C only. heat and A/C is a Packaged unit.

Thanks,
Robert
Yanita

Its a packaged unit heat and air combined in one unit.

You must of been posting when I added more info to my last post.

~Y~
Robert

Yep, kinda. In a conference chat with last minute info before Mark leaves in the a.m. .

Robert
Robert

Is it electric heat, gas heat or a HeatPump ?

Robert
Yanita

gas heat...

yup already talked with Mark also. i am leaving tomorrow as well for the loooong wekend. WOO HOO!
Robert

Start a thread for a few in OT, gotta ask something please.

Robert
homebuff

Yanetta, where was your unit located? Ours is right near the living room where it is real noisy. i have to turn up the tv everytime it comes on. I get very frustraited when this happens. Its also a gas & a/c unit combined w/ one solid panel going from the floor to the top of the unit like most of them. has no divider on the outside of it. Its back in a cubby hole w/pleanty of room to install a door divider. Would love to find a way to enclose it & still be able to vent it somehow. Thought about adding a door divider where it sits closing it off from the living room all together. Any suggestions?
Robert

Hi,

The all in one self contained Heat & A/c unit Yanita has now is outside the home.

She had a regular gas furnace and a-coil inside home similar to yours as they are all about the same.

Not much to be done with noise except maybe insulating walls better or adding a door, but unit must receive same amount of return air space.

A lot of people with noisy units go the route of an outside Packaged unit like Yanita.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert