This seems obvious but i have to ask

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

artzypantz

My compressor went out on my AC unit.
My dad had it put in last summer, a USED unit.
Its a 2.5 ton AC rheem classic x older model.
The ac man said i can replace compressor for $650 plus labor or have a new unit outside for $1000 plus labor.
He said when you get a NEW unit outside, you don't get a new coil for the inside with it.
That just doesn't sound right to me. Is that true???

With labor costs at $50.00 an hour with a total of 3 hours labor, it seems obvious that i would be smarter to replace the outside AC with a new unit.
I am under the impression that if the compressor fails, there is usually another problem causing it, Which AC man has given no answer for.
So, what would you do & do these prices sound average or reasonable?
Thanks
Tonia
Robert

Hi,

A-Coils are a seperate issue and do not come with the outside Condenser.

A new Condenser without a new A-Coil will not match up or work efficiently or proper with an older A-Coil.

Plus, the A-Coil is most likely matched to a 10/12 seer Condenser and he most likely is quoting a 13 Seer Condenser now.

That is not good in and of itself.

Compressor's are widely condemned for no reason, so I would get a second opinion also.

At that age, never replace just compressor, always go for new unit.

However, you would need a new a-coil too or you'll never see the efficiency return on your money and have problems with unit working properly.

As for prices, they differ and vary depending on what type unit, brand, and contractor overhead, so I try to not compare those.

Those are below my prices though, so will say that.

Lowest price is not always best deal, but can be at times.

This is why second opinions is good.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
artzypantz

Hi Robert!
What you said makes so much sense!
I went ahead and called a different company to come next week & have a look & give me a quote for a new unit...the whole shabang inside & out.
I thought something didn't sound right, and knew that inside coil issue was bothering me even tho i don't know anything about it!
Glad i used my "gut" and came here for advice!! Why can't you live here in my town???!!!!
I don't mind paying out hard earned cash when i know i am getting "Honesty" and a good job done right from a company.
They did a very poor job to begin with on the used unit & i was real hesitant to call them back to begin with. They improperly installed the pan and my ducts filled up with water. I called and they came & poked a hole in my underbelly to drain the water that was going every where. They never fixed the pan issue. Then they had to cut my furnace covers, them panels, to fit over the new piping installed for AC, cut the top panel instead of the bottom panel & now they don't fit & what a mess!
What Luck! I hope God is on my side this time!
Thank God for your honest advice & opinion Robert!
You enjoy your holiday weekend & God Bless Ya!
Tonia
Robert

Hi Tonia,

You're very welcome and thank you for the kind words. Get a second opinion and compare and ask away if you have any questions.

Will help all we can.

What is your furnace model number ?

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
artzypantz

Hi Robert & your welcome!

I have no idea what brand the furnace is, but i did find a model number on it........DGATO75BDE..........what ever that means :wink:

How can you tell if the compressor is no good?
It made a loud noise (not squeak) when starting up for the first minute (when it was cooling), if i'm right this would be a *hard start* and would help to ruin the compressor?

I wish i would be something as simple as a bad thermostat, as mine is ancient. :?

Thank goodness the weather is good for the next 5 days.......no suffering yet! :D

Thanks again!
Enjoy your nite!
Tonia
artzypantz

Hi Robert its me again!

I just did a search on my model number to find the brand........well its my lucky day! I just found out my furnace was recalled in 2004!!
I have NO idea what to do now! The recall is talking about it could burn the house down.........I think i may have to go have a drink :? This is to much for 1 weeks time :shock:
I'd better google my house model number......theres a good chance it was recalled too :(

Robert, i'm goin to bed.
Talk to you tomarrow
Tonia
Robert

Hi Tonia,

You have a Coleman Furnace.

Here's the recall info:http://www.dgatprogram.com/index.asp

This needs to be taken care of asap . This is your furnace and will only be a real danger during heating season.

I will say that some people have been disenchanted after having their furnace repaired by this recall and have not liked the results of changes to furnace.

Some have replaced the furnace after it was repaired.

I'm telling you this, as with your situation of needing a Condenser possibly and if so, a new a-coil along with the furnace issue, you may want to consider this.

Getting a Unit known as a Gas Pack (Packaged Heat& Air Unit).

It is Condenser, Evap. Coil (same as A-Coil) and Gas Furnace, ALL in one unit and ALL outside.

Easy to install and work on when needed and only takes a few modifications to ductwork.

A Gas Pack installed would be close in cost to a Condenser and A-Coil plus new lineset.

Labor would be same or less.

IF you ended up wanting a new furnace after recall repair, the Gas Pack would be cheaper and you would have all the same units.

It's all outside, so quieter, safer and you gain a closet where furnace is now.

Just some food for thought.

One of our other site Moderators, Yanita, just did this last w/e and we had another member at one time who also had did this.

I have been a pro-Gas Pack person for over 25 years and love them.

IF I was getting a new Condenser and A-Coil and had an older gas Furnace, I would go this route in a heartbeat IF affordable for me.

Checking the compressor entails several techniques that would show proof it was bad.

If it's old and making loud noises, good chance it is, but a second opinion should confirm it.

Will be away most of tomorrow with Church and trying to get some personal tasks handled here and at other home we just bought.

Will check back in tomorrow night.

Robert
Yanita

Hi,

A gas pack is the way to go...at this time I can not give any comparable price savings on my energy bills. By the end of the summer I should have an idea, but then again we just had all new doors and windows installed as well.

Love the fact that my heat/ac unit is now all outside. Much quieter in the home, the air temp seems more consistent between cycles and no blower noise!

Well worth the investment if you are able to do so.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
artzypantz

Hi Robert & Yanita!
I'm not sure about the gas pack. I live in central iowa & not sure i want the furnace outside in the middle of winter.
Do you put it inside of a shed or something?
There have been air conditioners stolen right off the lots here in our mobile home park, and we live in the best park in town.
I'm not sure i'd want to risk having the furnace & ac stolen. I know it seems rediculous, but sometimes people do rediculous things.
It would be nice to gain a closet and not have the noise & be safer, but it would concern me to have it out in the wide open in mid winter too.

I'll have someone come take care of the recall problem.

I guess i really need to google the gas pack & learn more before making a decision, & find out the cost, that would be a major factor for me.

Thank you so much for your help and concern!
Tonia
Robert

Hi Tonia,

No, it doesn't go in a shed or anything. It is like your outside Condenser Unit, just a little bigger in size.

You have the compressor, condenser coil, condenser fan, evaporator coil, blower motor, gas heat exchanger/chamber, gas valve, burners and all electrical controls in one self-contained unit.

You then have your electrical wires hooked to it and two flex ducts.

One flex duct is connected to your current main duct trunkline and the other goes to a return air grille you will install in the home.

It would sit where your condenser sits outside now.

You have to be sure it is rated for MH's as for as the blower motor.

Just something to consider as a possible option.

Robert
artzypantz

Hi Robert!

I had another company come this morning to look at what i have. He didn't check the compressor out, just looked at my system. He said the comany that installed the ac unit put a 3 ton unit outside and a 2 1/2 ton coil inside, and he thinks that helped to burn out the compressor.

He wouldn't even quote me on the gas pack unit and said it would not be a good thing for me, because of the work that has to be done with gas pipes & electric, to put the unit in. Here we go again with the whole "Work" issue.
I looked online & they are alot smaller than one would expect. I really don't think they would have to do a lot to install the gas pack unit. There is electric out there now. They would have to run gas line a few feet, a few feet of duct work, and cut a hole or 2 in the skirting. I just don't get it.

In fact, i just got rid of the old type ac crossover unit last summer when putting in the new used unit. The return hole is still in the floor just covered up and filled with insulation.
Wow what a story i've got huh.

I am calling yet another person to come have a look & i guess i'll have plenty of opinion to pick from before this is over LOL.

All i know is its starting to warm up & i can't sleep when its hot.
Do they not take a class on dealing with hot & irritated customers when schooling for this? LOL

Have a great day Robert! I sure do appreciate you!
Tonia
Robert

Hi Tonia,

Film all this and we'll enter it on America's Funniest Video's and split the winnings,LOL.

He doesn't know how to install a Gas Pack, geesshhh.

Back up please and clarify/better explain the "got rid of the old type crossover unit" statement.

Give me more histroy on the installing the used unit, etc... and let me see if I can understand totally what is there.

Are you in a doublewide ?

Also, I'll go back and look, don't remember if you gave condenser model number or if it was even legible.

Anyway, if it is legible and not already given, give me that.

If not legible, use a bright light to give me the model number on the Compressor (down inside Condenser Unit).

Also, give me the model number on the front facing of a-coil.

Nope, no schooling on irritated customers. I handled it one way years ago before I gave my life to Christ.

Now, it is handled 360* different.

The biggest problem is alot of Techs do not know manufactured housing and their units. A lot also do not know Gas Packs because they aren't popular.

Gas Packs are very popular in SC where I'm originally from and also in their upper neighbor NC where Yanita is.

I'll check back tonight, gotta run for now.

Robert
artzypantz

Hi Robert!

I live in a single wide trailer. When i bought it last year it had an old ac unit that had flex duct with the return air in the floor of the trailer. Totally separate from the furnace as i understand it.
I had that unit replaced with a Used ac that has an a-coil in the furnace and condenser unit outside, which is the one that the compressor went out on.

This new ac man said the a-coil and outside condenser were 2 different sizes & didn't work together & caused the compresser to burn out from hard starting.

My furnace was apparently upgraded in 2005 with the previous owner. I had the tech who did it send the paper work on it as they didn't put a sticker on the furnace saying it was upgraded. They sent a sticker for it with the paper work.

So now i am working with a new ac man and here is what he has Quoted me......." to have a new 3-ton coil designed for modular installation, a new 3-ton coleman condenser, lines as needed, freon, metal work, and all condensate work for $1200.00"
Which is reasonable to me if what he is saying is everything new inside and out.
The last ac man who put in the used unit wanted to replace it with new outside condenser only & leave the a-coil inside as it is.

I can't find any numbers on the ac unit outside & i can't get the a-coil cover off the furnace because there are gas pipes in front of it.

This is what the furnace looks like since having the "used ac unit" put in outside last summer.

I'm having the new ac unit put in when i get my taxes back next month.
So i guess all i can do is hope for the best.
Thanks!
Tonia
Robert

Hi Tonia,

Is that $1200 for the units and accessories only or $1200 total including labor ?

Ask him for the Coleman model numbers of the condenser and a-coil he is quoting.

What was there originally was a self-contained a/c unit. That is the equivalent to a Packaged Unit / Gas Pack minus the furnace part.

It is installed the same way with the return air and such, you just reroute the gas line from furnace area to where unit sits outside.

Thanks,
Robert