Draining water lines

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mmiiiiiz

I have a mobile home that will be vacant for a month or more, here in Western North Carolina, where the temps go down to the low 20's / teens from time to time. Without anyone in it, the furnace will be off, and I'm wondering if I can drain the water out of the pipes to avoid having them freeze?

Thanks
Greg

That's most likely the easiest thing to do. Don't forget to add RV antifreeze to the traps also.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mmiiiiiz

Thanks Greg, forgot about the traps! I guess I should have asked this last time, but I'm assuming the only way to drain them is to cut the supply where it comes out of the ground? Maybe install a valve there in case that has to happen again.

Thanks
Greg

You don't need to drain them, Just pour some RV antifreeze down them. Toilets too.

Greg
Norm Frechette

i remember watching my brother winterize his mobile home up in maine by draining the water heater (there was a door on the outside of the home for access) and then use a shop vac to push as much water out of the plumbing that he could, starting from the bathroom furthest from the water heater and working to the kitchen and then the nearest bathroom. then he added the antifreeze.
Greg

Good catch Norm, I forgot about draining the water heater.
DaleM

If you have a dishwasher, washing machine or ice maker be sure to empty those as well. Also run some antifreeze through the dishwasher and washing machine drain cycles. A gallon each will protect them.
mmiiiiiz

Thanks for all the responses to my post, I've got some work to do before it gets any colder !