Bathroom Fan replacement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

BEKM

What are the signs of a need to replace the bathroom fan? What type (low, medium, high) of fan is good, better, best? What about the noise of the new fan? Are their brand names that are better choices for installation/replacement in manufactured homes? Do you have to remove all the parts of the old fan when replacing with a new fan, or do you just cover the old stuff up with the new low profile styles?

Thanks,
Brian
bobfather99

Best and easiest is to replace with a fan unit thats as close to original as possible. Less fuss that way. Make sure your fan is vented to the outside with no air leaks.
Tip your bartender.....
Greg

Most home centers have working displays of fans, That will give you an idea of noise. Remember that the higher the CFM the more noise, there really is no way around that but some are quieter than others.

If I remember correctly the rule of thumb is a 3 minute change time for the air, so if you have 300 cu/ft of air in the room you would want a 100 cfm unit.

I guess the best advice I can give you is to shop around and do some research. Ask lots of questions when you look at them and keep in the back of your mind how you will vent it. Now would be the time to upgrade if you want lights & heat also.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
BEKM

Thanks for the help! I will check out all I can!