Dryer Exhaust venting

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

BEKM

I have had my dryer exhaust vented out from under my modular home since it was placed here 13 years ago but now I am upgrading my dryer to a newer model (Family Grew) and I want to change out the exhaust hose with the latest code but thought that maybe rather then the spiralled venting that is typical with dryers I would go with a round aluminum 4-5 inch duct to keep the lint from collecting along the path. Is this advisable? What is best for the new dryer and the home and the pocket book? Also a friend of mine said with a crawl space why not just vent it under the home to help keep it warmer in the winter.... Any suggestions or rules/codes would be much appreciated!
JD
Site Admin

Going with 4" aluminum rigid pipe from the floor collar to the vent cover is recommended. You will still need flex pipe to be able to move the dryer in and out of its spot. Don't go cheap on the flex pipe.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
BEKM

Thanks JD! What about the venting under the home? Better to go outside?
JD
Site Admin

Always vent to the skirting or wall.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
BEKM

You are awesome JD! I pulled out the instructions for the new dryer and as you stated it covers manufactured home and it says NEVER VENT UNDER THE HOME always vent to the outside. the vent duct material MUST BE METAL.

Thanks again... THIS IS ONE AWESOME WEB SITE AND BENEFIT TO THOSE OF US WHO JUST DON"T REALLY KNOW WHAT WE ARE DOING BUT ARE WILLING TO GIVE IT A SHOT! THANKS TO MOBILEHOMEREPAIR!
bobfather99

Venting under the home is like putting a sauna under there. Mold city!!!
Tip your bartender.....