Prevention Question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Kencynwit8

I have a single wide manufactured homes. Almost all older homes that I know of have had some kind of rotting floor issues. I can fix them. But I would like to prevent them from rotting in the first place. I see alot of questions about fixing rotting floors on here. I went through a bunch of pages looking for prevention.

First: What are some causes of the subflooring rotting especially around the outside walls of a manufactured home. Also around floor vents. Mine has already gotten soft spots around floor vents. Mine is a 2001 model Oakwood.

Second: How can it be prevented ?
Harry

Hi Ken

In my area the best prevention is to keep the floor dry. Any and all leaks must be fixed pronto.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

HI & Welcome. Ken water is ALWAYS to blame. If you take particle board (Pressed sawdust glued together) and add water, you have wet sawdust. Wet sawdust is good for NOTHING, other than dumpster fill.

Prevention, the only thing that you can do is to keep a very close eye on areas that tend to be problems, near windows, bathrooms, near doors, and water heater closets. Should the floor ned repair, USE PLYWOOD!!! or OSB at the very least. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

More specifically preventions measures include but are not limited to...check the caulking/sealant yearly on the exterior of your doors and windows. Clean and replace as needed. If your home has shingles make sure they stay in good repair. Shingles that are broke or curled will allow water to wick up under and then into your walls.

Hope this helps. I really have no idea as to why you are having flooring issues around your interior heat/ac ducts. Typically these run down the center of the home.

If you have further questions please feel free to ask more.

Welcome to the site.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!