Screen door for slider

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

BEKM

I have a guerdon home with a french door in one room and a slider in another room but the screen for the slider is dead. It measures 37 wide by 77.5 high. It slides from the right side over to the left when looking from the outside in. My in laws had the same issue last year with there screen and searched all over for a replacement but never did find a perfect match or solution. So now that I am seeing the same issue I thought of the pros here on this site and look forward to the simple answer that I am unable to answer by myself.
Thanks,
Brian
Jim from Canada

I ended up building my own after the second time the dog went through it. Made a frame of ash, divided in the center, a groove in the bottom for the slide. I wax the bottom about 3 - 4 times a year. The only other thing I've seen is the roll out type that are about $300.
JD
Site Admin

The door you mention sound close to some common sizes you might find, though screen doors for 80" tall sliders (measures 79.5") are more common. First thing I would do is call the local home stores and see if they have screen doors in stock for a 78x36 sliding glass door. Then take your door off and take it to the store that has them. Don't be shy, just carry that baby into the millworks dept, and make the guy there match it up. This may be the easiest and most straightforward fix. Know your clearances between doors and the lip of the bottom and top track before you go to the store. Some doors may go in and slide back and forth alright, but may not match up at the strike where you lock it. It is just a screen door, so a latch is not all that big of a deal. There are work-a-rounds for that too.

If the frame to your screen door is in good condition, you can replace the rollers. Here is a link to excellent instructions for replacing several roller types.
http://www.prime-line-products.com/howtoscreen.asp
If the screen itself needs replacing too, you need to decide if doing all this DIY is for you. Screens are easy to replace but sometimes hard for first timers to set straight and tight. Also, at this point you need rollers (and the right ones), screen, splines and a screen too as well as the your labor to fix the door.

It might be better to take the screen door to a door and window company and let them fix it. If you take it to them, it is usually not an expensive repair. Maybe $35 - $40. You have to take it to the right type of door and window company though. Nowadays there are many companies that are based on vinyl windows installs and do doors almost as a supportive sideline. The old school window companies were around when they were all making their aluminum windows and screens "in house". There are 4-5 that I know of in my area, so I would think the same would be true in your area.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Popsicle_toes

restore was a great source for us for french door screen! great price, lots of choices
Doni
proud owner of doni's dump!