Particle board floor staining

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

emerald46

Hey everyone,

I am new to the whole mobile home ownership game and the learning curve has been steep. My Wife and I bought a 1997 3 months ago and been doing lots of repair/renovation stuff. The carpets were pulled as the previous owner was smoker and a dog owner (I am allergic to both).

There are several spots (6" or so across) on the particle board subflooring that we assumed were old dog pee stains. For a variety of reasons we have not yet replaced the carpet. The weird part is that when ever the humidity of the house goes up the stains get darker, when it goes down they get lighter. We also noticed similar, but much smaller spots (less than 1") on the floor around the some (but not all) of the old carpet staples.

The floor is solid, with only one small ridge (not near any of the water spots). Is there anything we can seal the floor with to stop the spots from absorbing moisture from the air, and to prevent any new spots from forming with the inevitable future spills?

If I have to I will replace the section that has the cluster of spots in the living room, but the small spots where the carpet was stapled seems a bit excessive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Adam
peachlizzard

I have helped a friend of mine with an older single wide "seal" her particle board floor due to the same pet issues from previous owners. We just used wood varnish. It helped with the smell and the sealed the entire room! Good luck!
Greg

Hi & welcome. Some here have sealed or painted the subfloor to help protect it. Not sure how well it worked perhaps they will add to this. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."