connecting old poly to pex

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cr8ivrose

We are trying to put all new pipes under my sons kitchen sink and I have a couple of questions. There is a black drain? pipe coming from the side and the grey poly hot and cold piped come up from a hole in the floor, my question is how do we get these in the new cabinet with the least amount of work? Also, I have the manual so it shows pretty much what we need to do to connect the pex but I can't find a source to rent a crimper and we are on a very tight budget, I have read some posts about shark bite connections? is this something that might work for us?
Sorry so long but it's me and my son doing this and we really are winging it.

Thanks,
Rose
tritontr

You can order a Pex pocket crimper from this website that is reasonably priced. Whatever crimper you choose make sure you use a GO-NO/GO gauge on each crimp. Sharkbites are not compatible with poly pipe according to their website. Another option to consider is order the Poly-Pex transition fittings and then get two cut-off valves that are Pex connected at one end and compression fitting connected at the other so you can use flexible stainless hose to connect to your faucet, then check with a few plumbers and ask how much it would be for them to cut your poly pipe then crimp in the Poly to Pex transition fittings add a short piece of PEX and then crimp on your Pex cut off valves. This should not take any longer then 30 minutes if that. When there finished you have all your crimping done and you can turn your water back on until your ready to install your faucet.
Last edited by tritontr on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greg

Many here (myself included) have used shark tooth and gatortooth fittings with no problems.
The pocket crimper also works well, but it is a little slow to use. Personally I would go with the gatortooth fittings on the PB pipe and crimp the PEX. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
cr8ivrose

Thank you all so much, as always great information. I might see how much a plumber would charge to do the water heater, gas connections scare me! I hope it is not outrageous. I think we will try the the sharkbites (in easier to repair places) and then try to get the pocket crimper because I'm sure my son will have future repairs.

Thanks,
Rose
Lorne

Gato Bite or Shark Bite worked fine for me.
I got Poly (gray) stuck in one end of a "Gator Bite Coupling" and PEX stuck in the other end. WOW, no leaks-Love em.
Though the Crimp type PEX connection might work better, the Gators are good in the mean time. Around $4 or $5 each.
No tools needed.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
plugger812

I've used Flair-it fittings with great results. They're relatively inexpensive. They can be used on PEX or Qest. I usually find them at an Ace or True Value. Here's a website for more info.

http://store.flairit.com/c-51-flair-it- ... ystem.aspx

Good luck!
70dart360

I've got 4 sharkbites in my house and 1 under ground. They work great, been there for a good while, no problems. Just give the internal o-ring a shot of WD-40 to prevent damaging it. Thats the only problem I ever had with them.