metal roof or shingle

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

RumCreeker

Planing on buying a new mobile home. Should I go with metal roof or shingle roof. Had a metal roof on old home (owned for 23 years) and although a few minor leaks over the years no real problems. I did coat it every other year with roof coating. Also siding, metal or vinyl siding? Sorry if I am in wrong forum...not sure where to post................................Thanks.....Rumcreeker
tritontr

Are you buying a single or doublewide? Does your part of the country see a lot of high winds each year say above 40mph? When you say metal are we talking the traditional metal like the home you have now or the new architectual metal like on site built homes and now offered on mobile homes? Do you know the roof pitch of the one your looking at? On the siding my vote would be for the vinyl.
RumCreeker

This is s single-wide mobile home with factory installed roof. The metal roof would be galvalum whatever that is. Shingle roof would be 20 year shingles. Not sure of the pitch. At times we have high winds during storms but not on a sustained basis. This is s Clayton home. Live in southern West Virginia.
Yanita

Hi Rumcreeker,

You live just northwest of me.

I personally like a shingled roof. To me what is more important is that the roof has at least a 4 to 6 inch over hang, soffit venting. Also gutters are very important.

Oh yeah, those 20 year shingles probably wont last that long. Also check and see (ask) what is under them.

As for siding I would always go with vinyl opposed to metal. In our areas it gets real hot. If possible check to see if there is any exterior sheathing under the vinyl.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!