In need of a good checklist

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Steve74

The economy (jobs) have set me and my family back a little. We can't afford apartment rent that keeps going up so we finally opted out of our lease. We'll be purchasing our first mobile home. A 1982 Champion. Its all we can afford and find on short notice. But I'm not looking to throw a pity party. We're taking what we can afford to use as a roof over our head and pressing on. I'd just like to get it safe and clean for my kids.

I made an offer on a trailer and I inspected as much as I could what I think will need attention. My goal initially will be to get it in a 'livable' condition. The floors have soft spots. The carpet is grimey. The bathroom is tremendously filthy and the kitchen is not further off. I'll likely replace the tub, toilet, and sink. I'll also likely replace the kitchen sink, cabinets, fridge, and dishwaher. I noticed it has a gas range that doesn't work and an electric water heater had been installed 4 years ago (I was told). So I'm not sure how the place was even heated. Good thing the summer is coming up.

I'm handy with tools (former military mechanic) and will learn terminology on the fly. I guess what I'm asking is what would be a good checklist to use to inspect and repair a MH. I can see the obvious but I know there are underlying sections, components, and safety items I'll need to address that are not so obvious. It's seems to be an overwhelming project but I can follow directions and am very gamed.

Appreciate any help.

Steve in Delaware
Yanita

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the site! There are alot of great people here that will gladly get you through any problems that arise.

As for that check list. On the main page of the repair forum you will see the "stickies" there is one titled Checklist for purchasing a used mobile/manufactured home. Print it off and arm yourself with the few tools you will need and the knowledge you will gain.

Also in our task menu you will see the Books?parts link, in there is our Repair manuel, often referred to as worth its weight in gold...a must have for the newbies entering the world of MH living.

Again, welcome to the site and look forward to helping you.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Steve,

The check list and repair manual Yanita recommends would both be excellent for you.

I would like to add the things I would check first when looking at used mobile homes.

#1. or let me say NUMBER ONE, is the roof. What type is it and what kind of condition is it in. If it is a metal roof, what you don't want to see is a build-up of layers of old sealants, especially cracked, peeling or flaking off. You don't want to see repair patches. Your don't want heavy rust or seams (approx every 3' going sideways across the home) lifting up or looking uneven.

Approved mobile home roofs are generally very expensive, compared to putting shingles on a similar sized home. When you get an older mobile home in fixer condition, a roof installed by a pro will probably cost more than the mobile home. You can save a ton of money by installing a metal roof DIY, like the one outlined in the Mobile Home Repair Manual.

If the home has a shingle roof, look for soft spots in the roof sheathing, especially near the ridge cap on double-wides. Look at the condition of the shingles. Are the edges of each shingle crisp and fresh looking? If they are frayed and missing a lot of the mineral surface, they should be replaced soon. Shingle roofs installed by pros will be a lot cheaper than an aluminum, rubber sheet or spray foam roof.

#2. What type of plumbing does it have? Galvanized pipe, copper and PEx is better. Gray plastic pipe and fittings (polybutylene plumbing) can cause problems. Look for previous plumbing repairs and then look at the floors and walls around the repairs. They will often become damaged from plumbing leaks.

#3. Look at the underbelly of the home. Hopefully it is intact, at least for the most part. Small areas are not too hard to repair. Redoing the whole home is a big job. Where ever there is a torn out opening, look at the condition of the insulation. Which brings me to ...

#4. While looking at that insulation, look for mouse or other critter droppings. Check for signs of termites around the entire base of the mobile home, steps and decks. No freeloaders allowed!

There are many things to check and may need repairs. Heaters, water heaters, wells and pumps on homes that use them, but the above would be the first things I would say to check. Mostly because they are not so obvious when inspecting and the cost of the above repairs can be brutal.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Steve74

I'll take what you 2 recommend into consideration and create a plan of attack. My biggest concern is mildew, rotted wood, and secure electric wiring/accessories. I've read on here where others have gutted everything. Ripped the old flooring out and started from scratch so they can see everything underneath. The hallway on one end of the trailer to the kitchen on the other end has some soft spots. So, I was actually leaning towards doing that. I'm the kind of guy that doesn't like to take shortcuts no matter how painful. I'm looking to strip down, sanitize, and remodel the master bedroom and the bathroom next to it first so that we have something livable for the time being. But if either of you have any better ideas I'd be extremely grateful. Also, luckily the person next door was in a similar predicament so I'll ask him for advice.

One other thing, since I'll own it I'd like to get it in tip-top condition so that one day I could maybe rent it out to military members. Their standards will be high therefore I'm really not looking to cut corners.
JD
Site Admin

The soft spots and repairs you mentioned will surely need to be done. But it will all be for not if your roof or plumbing starts leaking. That is how the soft spots got there.

Just my opinion
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Steve74

I totally agree JD. Again, I'll probably will be gutting it.
tritontr

JD and Yanita have great suggestions. Your worst enemy is water whether it is from plumbing problems of the past a leaking roof or windows. Look under the sinks and see what kind of plumbing system it has we may be able to tell you what your up against as far as future problems or repairs. Like JD mentioned you can put a lot of your time and money into upgrades and see it all destroyed by water damage. Good luck