Hi, New here, sort of.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TonyPa

Hi, I just registered today. However, I have been here lurking for a little while, taking in the great advise of others.
I bought my first MH, and won't be moving in until June though.
My neighborhood has become a war zone, along with the school for my kids. And I really don't want to pay 24 more years on my house, when I am going to have my MH paid off in 24 months. Big difference.
I am going to put an addidtion on, before I move in. I have to!

I did read the articles on ADDITIONS. I was wondering instead of just using blocks, if anyone has planted 4 x 4 's in the ground, of course, below frost line. I want to send them at least 3 1/2 feet into the ground, fill the hole with concrete....etc. Then hook my 2 x 8 's onto them.
I have done additions before, and even built my own garage, but never on a MH. I am confident with my building, and of course electrical, plumbing etc.
Anyhow, any advise would be great on this. And thanks for the great forum!
JD
Site Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You might want to check your local codes, but I believe concrete footers with steel post brackets would be required if you want to use wood. You also need to be sure you have an approved post bracket. The standard small Simpson Tie bracket is usually not enough. They do make a heavy duty tall bracket for this use. A lot more expensive bracket though.

Pressure treated wood submerged in concrete will rot relatively quickly in code standards.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Hi & welcome. Since you are in an area with frozen ground you need to remember that below frost line footers on the addition are only half of the equation. You will need the main section of your home on below frost line footers also. If possible you should use a single footer for both the home & addition. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

In our books/parts link you can order the book about additions.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
TonyPa

I appreciate the responses. I was talking to the head maint. guy up the community, and he said when I am ready he would come over, ad give me some advise on what to do, since they have rules. ...Rules....yuk!!
Yanita

Is this home in a park/mh community ???

Yanita
TonyPa

Yes, it actually is a very nice one. Wooded area, and not close together.
Yanita

Hi Tony,

Well I am glad that it is a nice one. BUT, I would still like to caution you that not all park maintenance men "know" how these additions are suppose to be built. It is not like building onto a stick built home.

To not do these properly will surely result in damage to the unit and possibly the addition. Annnd not to mention the constant leaks that you will have.

Go to your local building codes office and get the info needed from them as to what requirements they have. Purchase the Additions manual we have here on site in the Books/Parts link. Share all this info with your park management BEFORE construction begins.

Also call your insurance company and see what requirements they may have also. Many insurance companies will not insure if the addition is directly attached to the mobile home.

Yanita
TonyPa

Thanks so much for the info. I know he has been doing it for 30 years, and seemed to know what he was talking about, but I don't trust people. I was going to build it on its on stnading, without attatching it to the home, then make some type of entry. This is all new to me, and I am excited to get out from under this house I am in, and also a wonderful neighborhood and school. I will do whatever it takes to make it happen. But has to be done the right way as you stated!
Yanita

LOL, not trusting people, well hopefully you will trust those here on site. Remember we all live in MH's.

I will give the man credit if he has been doing this for 30 years but none the less I know plumbers and other professionals that have been doing there jobs for a long time as well...incorrectly or "old school" way.

Get all your info together and then proceed.

Example..your pic of your front door...your over the steps awning should not of been mounted directly to the home unless many criteria has been met...

Yanita
TonyPa

I trust you folks for sure. I have been lurking here for a while, hiding in the bushes, and reading. But I just registered yesterday finally. I saw that too, with the awning. I would have done it much differently. i would have made it free standing. But I guess they did what they thought was right. Although I knew it was wrong. He asked me if I would please let him know anything I am doing to the MH outside, before I do it, due to stuff like that.
TonyPa

Also...They put some type of roof on, that looks like a plastic/vinyl roof on. Kinda a snap together roof? They did a ton of work, and then lost it during a divorce, and taxes...The maint. guy told me that is a good thing with this roof?