Water Pressure

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

msbug1958

I live in a mobile home park in a single wide. Yesterday my landlord was replacing a pipe in the ground of the lot near us, off to the side. That lot is empty. Today one side of our house has no water pressure, the other side does. Our kitchen sink has just a dribble and the bathroom on that side has some water, but the pressure is low.
The other end is just fine. The side that isn't working, it's the hot and cold water. We looked under our mobile home and do not see any leaks. We are waiting for our next door neighbors to get up so we can ask them. The neighbors across from us are fine. Is it us, or could it be related to the repair outside? We were fine until yesterday.
Thanks.
Yanita

Hi,

I would think that since you were fine before the repairs /replacement of line then it is related. Thinking that maybe dirt got into your line and has caused a blockage.

Since you have a landlord/park management I would call them and let them know. It should be up to them to fix your water as well.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
msbug1958

It's just weird that it is only one side of the house and the pipe they fixed was near the road on the other side of the next lot. Very annoying. Thank you for your reply.
Greg

I'm with Yanita on this one, I would bet that a rock or something got into a pipe. The good (better) news is that it should not be too hard to find. Since it effects BOTH the Hot & cold sides that tells me that it should be in the line before the water heater, That eliminates a lot of the system. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
msbug1958

So then it is a pipe in my lot and you don't think it's related to what they replaced outside yesterday in the other lot. Everything was fine until yesterday.
I really appreciate everyones help.
Yanita

Yes,

It is possible and more than likely related. As I said earlier, something has worked its way into your water line during/while they were replacing the pipe on the lot beside you. Like I said dirt, and Greg mentioned a small rock as a possibility of what is on your line.

Yanita
msbug1958

Thank you very much.
Yanita

Your welcome,

Please post back and let us know what the repair folks find...

Yanita
Rod

"The other end is just fine. The side that isn't working, it's the hot and cold water."
If you have good pressure to one side of the home & not the other this would tell me that the blockage (blockages) has to be in the plumbing system after the point of entry to your home. Otherwise the whole house would be low on pressure.

Check the fixtures! Faucets, fill valves & shut offs to them.

Did you check the aerators in the faucets?

If the clog is in the aerator or mixing valve of a faucet than both the hot & cold will be affected.

If you have shut offs an easy way to check if its the fixture is to turn the shut offs off, disconnect the feed lines to the faucet and put them it in a bucket. Turn the shut offs on. If you get good pressure its the faucet. If you don't then its in the line or maybe the shut off itself.
msbug1958

We only have shutoffs outside. When my sister checked the outside faucet, nothing is coming out of there. It's funny, because both our toilets are acting up and we need to replace the ballcock etc inside.
We have someone coming tomorrow that does work for us. I hope we find out. Thanks again
blbrade1

if it is effecting both the hot and the cold i dont under stand how only half of the house has low pressure cause the hot water line is indipentdent of the cold after it "t's" to the water heater
Carpenters Rule!!!!!!
msbug1958

The first bathroom is just fine. The kitchen has nothing, the 2nd bathroom has water from the sink and tub, but very low. Also the outside faucet has nothing. After they did their work outside, the kitchen began to get low, then it was okay and this morning, nothing.
oldfart

Msbug here's my simple thoughts on it. There's only one water line coming into the home..correct? So...when they did the work on any outside line what happened was they dislodged some debri/dirt and it's causing your problem. As was mentioned..go to every faucet and remove the areator from the faucets. This is the little screen you can unscrew from the "mouth" of the faucets. Your kitchen sink has one and most bathroom sinks have one as well. Some tub spigots have them to. Now open up all the faucets in the house..wide open. Go thru the house and open and close every shut-off valve and faucet. Do it again and again. This might be a 2-beer job but just keep doing it. What yer trying to do is flush the smutz out of the line that they put in there when they did the work outside. Even a little piece of dirt can clog up a shut-off valve or a faucet. Open/close...open/close..until it breaks free. I start from the faucets/shut-off valves nearest the incoming waterline and work my way to the faucets/shut-off valves furtherest away from the incoming line. Eventually it'll clear...usually with lots of sputtering and mud running out of the faucet/shut-off valve. Now the next thing to do is check the lines to the washing machine. Shut the valves off...remove the lines from the washing machine and remove the rubber hoses. Clean and clear them or they WILL gammahooch up the washing machine!! Also if you have a dishwasher..clean and clear the line! All it takes is dirt as fine as Black Pepper to clog the screens and filters and cause problems down the road. Ohhh yes...and remove the shower head! That thing will clog up inn'a heart-beat with a gram of dirt. Audie...been there..done that.
msbug1958

Well, it's fixed. We had an old water softener, that we haven't used in over 10 yrs. I thought my mom had it unhooked, she only had it unplugged. The lines were all clogged to the house. The plumber came, and blew out all the black looking charcoal from the lines. We had to have 3 new fixtures, as they were a mess. He also put a switch to turn the water off and on outside, unhooked the softener, and put a new pipe in, cleared the lines, 3 fixtures and then a small leak in the wall when hooking up one of the fixtures. It was less money, than I thought it would be. We are all set now. I am happy and I am really appreciative of all your replies. I am glad i found this forum. Thank you all again.
Greg

Glad everything is back to normal. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."