Wallboard questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

CATAPLT

I am in the middle of ripping off the wall board out of one of my rooms(previos owner hung wall paper with rubber cement, guess the wall paper didn't stay). I was very disapointed to find 2X3 studs on 24" on all the interior walls. I had always noticed that the wall seemed kind of flexy.
Also at some of the corner joints, both pieces of wall board are not on a stud at the corner. So if you push against the wall it will move away from the ajoining wall a little.
On top of that once I took down the batton strips I found that the wall boards are not perfectly flush.

All of this adds to a lot of problems for anything concerning joint compound or skim coating. My place looks very similair to the one pictured above and I think it would be a very good idea to put a lot of research into it before spending 2K$ on skim coating.

I am replacing the drywall with 3/8 to match the wall board, but adding studs to the interior wall so they will be on 12" so help stiffen them up. I am also going to add 2x6 boards to the spots in the corners were there is only one stud.

I am hoping these things will keep the joint compound from cracking from the flexy walls.

I can post pictures if that would help anybody.
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site!

I moved your post to make it separate. We encourage all members to please post their questions separately so they get answered accordingly. This makes it easier on the mods and members to follow along and not get confused on who we are answering.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
blbrade1

hi,
pics would be nice but i think i can picture what you are talking about. Studs only have tobe 16 on center so if you start from the end side and add studs every 16 inches when youreach the 24 on center one move it to 32 inches and continue inthis same manner the remaining legnth of the wall and use the 2x6 to tie the two walls together so it will also act as a nailer in that corner. This should stiffen the wall sufficiently.
Carpenters Rule!!!!!!