how big shoul my basement be

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

blbrade1

we want to buy some property yo put our mobile home on and i think it would be wise to put a basement under it but i don't know how to figure out the correct size.
Last edited by blbrade1 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpenters Rule!!!!!!
Greg

Hi & welcome. That is a hard question to answer, Personally I would love the extra room. Much depends on the land, and you financial situation. A basement under a single wide may not be as useful as under a double wide.

A few here have done them, perhaps they add their thoughts. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
blbrade1

well it is a single wide but i thought it would help with the settling what i ineed to know is what part of the trailor should rest on the walls
Carpenters Rule!!!!!!
Greg

I think most of the ones I have seen use I beams across the blocks and set the frame on the cross beams. Mark has a chapter in his book about doing a basement under a double, but a single would be about the same.

Mark's book is avalable in the "books & parts" section of the site. Greg
blbrade1

thank u greg i really wnt to do this so my home improvements will be easier and last longer since the home would be on a footing below the frost line it wont move as much i'm hesitant to replace any doors untill it is done
Carpenters Rule!!!!!!
blbrade1

oh yeah and whats up with not beeing able to find replacement exterior doors without having to rob fort nox to have one custom made
Carpenters Rule!!!!!!
Greg

You may two options. First you may have enough room to install a full size door frame & door or in the articals section of the site there is an artical about cutting down a full size door to fit. Greg