Older mobile home 20+ yrs need new insulation underneath.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kylyn84

My daughter lives in Maidstone Sask. and was hoping to find a contractor to insulate under her single wide mobile home as it seems every thing under there is falling down or gone. The guy she spoke with uses a product called "walltite" sounds very good, but at $9000.00 it is way out of our range. She also needs to block holes for mice.
Any input or suggestions for her insulation would be VERY much appreciated. Should she try and make it through this winter and do something in the spring, it is cold here with some snow.
Can the holes round the pipes be done from the inside, or is it another crawl underneath job.
Thank you so much.
Yanita

Good morning,

Welcome to the site.

I am not familiar with the product that you mentioned. Since you are in a cold area I would do this job as soon as possible. We recommend batts insulation for your underbelly. You will need to remove any insulation that is damaged, matted down etc. Replace with batts and then then install new or patch existing underbelly.

The insulation is not pushed tight between the floor joist. Make sure that water lines and ducting gets covered with the insulation. This application helps keep the radiant heat from the ducts near the water lines and prevents (helps) freezing water lines.

Once all is done make sure that the skirting is installed as snugly as possible. Close the vents for the winter months.

Yes, the holes around the incoming water lines can be filled from the inside. I filled all those areas with steel wool, topped with spray foam insulation and then took a 5x5 inch piece of scrap wood, dilled a hole the size of pipe in the center of the wood, cut in half and fit around the pipe. Then screwed that into place. Seems mice can/will eventually chew thru steel wool.

Do not forget the lines coming in to your water heater.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Brenda OH reregister

lots of posts on it, but in case you haven't seen them, putting small boards or wire across the joists and threading the insulation onto them helps keep the insulation from falling down, and in place, while repairing the belly wrap. I hate having a batt of fiber glass insulation fall on my head while attaching the belly wrap.

Brenda (OH)
Greg

Many here also have insulated the skirting as well. They claim that the tempeture never goes below freezing. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
wingnut_721

i took a gander under my mobile home a month ago and took celotex(i think thats what its called...)and put it up to any holes that would allow heat loss, and butted them up with 2x4's and filled around each piece with Great Stuff foam sealer, and when it cured and dried took the 2x4's out and now have a sealed up underbelly, plus for the first time in 6 years, got the motivation to replace any skirting that had a hole or crack in it, also went around the outside of the home and hand tightened all loose metal screws and caulked any hole i saw. so far i think it seems to be working quite well, but we are really just beginning the cold stuff here in NW Wisconsin...
hope that gave you an idea or two.....