Cold floors

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

tanmar

dont mean to hijak this thread, but i have an issue with my flooring too. We live in Canada and the temp has begun to drop already here on the east coast! I was under there last weekend taping up around our utility pipe that comes under and up into the floor underneith (mice problem last year). They would enter towards the front quarter middle of the MH (underneith) and crawl in through the insulation to the middle of the MH where they would come up through under the kitchen sink pipe. This explained the cold air constantly billowing from the cupboard. That was fixed, but our end bedroom at the front of the MH is cold. The floors are much colder than those elsewhere inside (same flooring). Is it possible i need to repack insulation around the front? Going to take a peek this weekend and see if there are holes or anything odd (didnt look last weekend)...but it was about 4 degrees Celsius colder in that room than all the other rooms when we woke up this week.

ideas or same problem?
Yanita

H Tanmar,

Since this is deviating from the original poster questions I am going to separate your thread into a new one. Please follow me, the title of your thread will be "Cold Floors".

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
butch2

hello -fellow canuck here from northern ontario .

I dont think we can ever get away from cold floors , but there are a few things you can do that might help be a little less cold

is it possible for you to insulate your'e skirting with styro foam insulation ?

also , are your crawl space vents closed now that its getting nippier ?

I always snow pack my cinder block skirting once we get the first few snow storm and just keep it topped up around the trailer all winter

works for the eskimos
Yanita

Hi Tanmar,

Butch has given you good advice. Insulating the skirting is a great idea. If you click on the Articles link in the task menu Mark has written an article about insulating skirting.

When I lived in Vermont, just short of the Canadian border we also used to bank the home with snow...that also worked like a charm!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!