Another Heat Tape Question - insulation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

iafirebuff

Last heat tape question - I promise :) I am going to replace my heat tape next week. I am securing the needed supplies and I have a question regarding the insulation that goes around the pipe/heat tape.

I have plastic (pex) water line and will be using Frostex heat cable/tape. Currently there is about 1/2 inch thick or so foam pipe insulation around the water line. I was planning on re-using this but wondered if it would hurt to put a 1/2" think fibergalss pipe insulation then the vapor barrier over the foam insulation? I live in Iowa, and it can get well below 0 for an extended period of time. Would I be ok in adding the extra insulation? THANKS IN ADVANCE!
iafirebuff

OK, I found a FAQ in the Frostec instructions. It states that Frostex het tape will not burn out if placed too close, overlapped or over insulated. I think I will wrap 1" of fibergalss insulation then the vapor barrier over that. :)
Greg

Always follow the manufacturers instructions for installing, They do very from one to another. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
phelpcd1

where did you find this heat-tape? Mine is 4 years old and I'm having alot of little to-do's completed soon and replacing this is one of them. Is this something they sell at Lowes/HomeDepot??
Greg

Most home centers & hardware stores sell different types of heat tape. there are a few different brands with different installation instructions. Greg
iafirebuff

I have the Frostex brand - it is sold by the foot, can be overlapped, can be overinsulated and is priced at $1.50/foot via the internet (google search) or at my local MH dealer it is $2.29/foot. THe end kit is about $14.
iafirebuff

Is there any reason I could not use a rol of fiberglass insulation to insulate the pipe/frostec heat tape? I think it would be easier to take a 16"w x 2" thick x 48" long roll and wrap that around the pipe. What I would do is cut it down to 8" wide wrap that around the pipe. I would then take some plastic vapor barrier and wrap that around the insulation. So what I would end up with is 4" (approx) of insulation with plastic over that. This seems to be easier than buying 3" w x 1/2" thick x 50' of fiberglass pipe insulation. I would have to wrap it 3 times to get 1.5" this way. According to the Frostec instructions, for -20 below protection I need 1.5" of insulation with pex and 3/4" pipe.

Is my thinking correct or am I missing something? THANKS for any advice!
Greg

Again, I cannot stress enough - FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURE'S INSTRUCTIONS.
Heat tape related fires are a leading cause of Mobile home fires. Greg
iafirebuff

I understand about following the directions. I guess what I was trying to ask/verify is this - the Frostex instructions/brochure states that you can overlap and over insulate this type of heat tape/cable without any problems. Also, it states that you increase the thickness of the insulation in accordance to your pipe type/size and desired protection. I was just wondering if anyone has used this type of heat tape and wanted to verify what I read in their instructions - just wanting to make sure it gets done properly. Thanks again!