I had it checked but barely any air out of one side of home

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

redkmd

We had two different people check our ducts in our doubble wide mobile, one said a crossover was a little loose and hooked it up and charge me 140 for that very high i thought just to rehook a little loose.
The other got under and did not charge but said it looked like they were hooked up and all right but the side the furnace and a coil is on the air blows hard enought out of those vents to blow a hat off your head the other side it wont blow a match out unless you touch it to the vent. What can be the problem our master bedroom is so hot and our master bath is freezing. I tried shutting all vents on the side with furnace and makes no difference in the ammount of air that comes out of the bad side. I feel I am either getting ripped off by companies that dont want to do the work right or dont know how even to do it we need help we live in Phoenix Az and summer is hot and need the entire home cooled not only half any ideas would be appreciated greatly.
thank you
Ron
Phoenix Arizona
Robert

Hi Ron,

Remove all floor register grilles. Go to one end, first one half of home, then the other half.

Lay a bright flashlight down in duct facing next register. Go to that register and hold mirror down in duct facing the light and inspect duct.

Keep doing this to totally inspect the trunklines, one on each half.

Then, the crossover may be kinked, collapsed, sagging, torn, etc. .

The best cure for crossovers is to replace with two 90* ells and straight hard metal duct wrapped with insulation/moisture barrier.

Next best is the two 90* ells and flex duct stretched tight between them.

IF you have that good of flow on furnace side and that little on opposite side, crossover is most likely not right.

Sometimes an air diverter is needed in duct at crossover to get diverted into it.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
redkmd

thank you for answering but what is odd is we paid 140 to one company that said they looked and the crossovers were fine and hooked up and no holes or kinks no air coming out when ac was on and another company told us no air coming out of crossovers either and looked hooked up fine and these were big ac companies in mesa arizona that are used to mobile home ac units they said even they are puzzled that why no air is coming out on one side so it is a mystery still but what you said to do they did and I go on their word since I am not able to climb under here to look.
thank you and any other ideas knowing what you know now?
Ron
Robert

Hi,

To know condition of crossover, it MUST be taken loose/disconnected on furnace side of home.

Then you stretch it out tight and shine light down inside to see if metal coil has collapsed or if there is any blockage.

Then, if good, you turn on furnace in heat mode and in a/c mode and see if good airflow comes out of the duct collar that crossover attches to.

If not, but good airflow down duct trunkline, a diverter to divert air into crossover is needed.

You cannot just look at crossover and say it is hooked up and ok.

I'm not there and won't knock another company, but this is how I do it and have been doing this for 29 years.

In my professional opinion, you at least did not get your $140 worth of service.

I say this because you paid $140 and still have same problem.

The steps here and in previous reply will resolve this issue if you can find someone to follow them.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?