AC unit outside not turning on

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Big_Kyle

The blower inside is working fine but the outside unit isn't turning on. I checked the wires that connect and it doesn't look like there's any break in them. What else should I look for? I'm obviously trying to save money and not have to hire someone to fix it unless I really have to.
Robert

Is NOTHING coming on outside, no compressor or fan motor ?

If that's the case, turn power off and remove controls panel cover.

May be a bad contactor.

FIRST though, go to t-stat and turn t-stat off, then test across R or RC and Y for 24-28vac.

If you have it, turn t-stat on and set to cool-auto-65* and test across same R or Rc and Y for 24vac.

Should read 0vac.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
mattham

i am having the same problem but the contactor is pulling in and humming. i tested the thermostat as you said and it is fine.
Robert

Hi,

Test across the two small wires connected at sides of contactor for 24-28vac.

IF there, test at top two large wires for 240vac and at bottom two large wires for 240vac.

Look for incoming wires into condensing unit and going to eitehr bottom or top.

Then the other end of contactor goes to compressor.

IF you have 240vac at both ends, see if you have only ONE Run Capacitor, if so, it is a dual run cap and may be bad.

Reply back in a new thread to not confuse with this one.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?