Need a new HVAC!

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

kristykenn29

Please help.. Our Coleman A-Coil unit? was being serviced today because our fan motor went out and had to be rebuilt. He installed the fan, everything worked great untill the air cut off and my hubby smelt smoke. Went to where the unit was located and a few wires were glowing and sparking. He said it something to do with our heat and he would diconnected the wires and tape them off. He said we'd need a new unit by next winter if we want heat. We bought our home preowned built in 1997. I'm not sure where to even start lookng for a new unit or how much they even cost. He really made my day a miserable one. What should we do? What size do we need? Our home is 60X28. Please help! :cry:
kristykenn29

UPDATE!! Ok, the serviceman hard wired the fan so we have to turn it on by the breaker. So the fan will constantly stay on. Becuase I guess the wires that he need to connect it to were soem of the wires shorting out along with some heating wires. For now our air works, but we ahve no heat. My dad has called around and he found an all outside 2 1/2 ton unit 15kw strips for around $1500. Not including installation. Is that a good deal? We're not sure what we are doing.. What do you think? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :?
Robert

Hi,

Ok, may I ask what you paid guy for rebuild and work done ?

Why did he say heat was a no go ?

What type heat is it ?

What is furnace model number and brand ?

2.5 ton unit is not big enough.

Where are you located, what State ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
kristykenn29

Im in Alabama.. We paid him $275 he cleaned the system inside and out and rebuilt the fan motor. He said the heat strip keep shorting out, along with the wiring connected to it. He said there was really no way to fix it. That it would keep shorting out. The unit we have now is a 1.5 ton a heat pump. So we figured a 2.5 ton would work great. You don't think so? Not quite sure the make an model. Husband said couldn't really find any labels on it. I was thinking someone before said it was a coleman. The HVAC guy said it was about 15 years old?

Do you think our unit is safe for now untill we can save our money to purchase a new one? He disconnected the wiring from the heat strips and taped them off with electrical tape. Our fan is tied in to the breaker box now so it will continually run. My concern is safety. My sons room is on that side of the house.

Another concern is the drip pan in the closet is leaking water, and not draining properly. Thanks for responding!
Robert

Hi,

How handy and/or mechanically inclined are you and/or your husband ?

Do you have an electrical multi-meter to test voltages with and comfortable using it ?

Would you be willing to DIY if possible ?

Look on bottom section of furnace for metal controls box and should have a data sticker with model number.

Can you take a pic and post it of front of furnace if model number is not seen ?

You will need at least 2.75 to 3 tons for 1680 sq. ft. home if it was well insulated with upgraded doors and windows with good shade

You should never rebuild motors, you can replace cheaper and have a warranty.

We have articles showing step by step how to clean units.

$275 was more than you should have had to spend at this point.

You do not have to wire through breaker, you have a blower relay for that and blower won't run continously.

Is the A-Coil drip pan metal or plastic ?

Do you know how to remove the blower housing assembly, it slides out ?

Thanks ,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?