replace the old air conditioner

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

wvmac

I had a company come and look at our air conditioner (outside unit) and they said I need to replace it. It is old. They said that they would put the air compressor in a compartment underneath the furnace and then I would still have the rest of the unit outside. They are going to replace the thermostat.

Carrier Comfort Series Central Air
14 seer
5 year warranty

the price they quoted was $2,660

Is this a good price?
Are there better ways to go about replacing the old unit?

Thanks
Robert

That is A-Coil or Evaporator Coil, not air compressor just for clarity.

Is yours underneath the furnace at this time or do you now have a self-contained unit with all components outside ?

Don't know about price as we do not deal with brands that are not mainly used in manufactured housing.

Because of that, be sure the a-coil will fit inside the smaller MH furnace compartments.

Doing what they said would be replacing with a split system, condenser outside and a-coil inside.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
wvmac

it is a self contained unit with everything outside.

The tech said that there is an empty compartment under the furnace that could be used, and he did mention split system.

thanks
Robert

Hi,

Ok, then as long as it fits, all should be ok.

The drawback is they will have to disconnect the return and supply ducts now going to self-contained unit from the main home duct trunkline and the home return grille.

THEN, they will have to completely seal the main duct trunkline where supply duct connected.

Then, seal and/or cover the return grille in home.

IF, and it should have, you have a damper underneath the furnace, it will need to be removed.

I do not believe they are planning to do all this for the price quoted.

You could much easier and cheaper, just replace with another self-contained unit.

How old and in what condition is your gas furnace ?

I ask because you can get what is called a gas pack which is the a/c condenser, evaporator coil, gas furnace and blower motor ALL in one unit outside.

Would utilize the return and supply duct as is.

You could remove the furnace and have an extra closet.

Would have to be one with a blower motor rated for mobile home ducts and sized as is now.

Just some info to consider to get best bang for your hard earned bucks.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?