ABS Plastic vs fiberglass tubs and sinks

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

E-Z Street

Can anyone describe the differences in regard to long term looks and ability to clean ABS and fiberglass tubs and sinks. Is there any tricks that will make abs lose the stains that come with time etc.
Any tricks for fiberglass?
JD
Site Admin

I don't know about cleaning stains, but as an installer I have seen a lot of both. The mobile home fiberglass tub has always been more expensive and a much better quality than the ABS unit. Then recently, the quality of the ABS tub has gone down. I have seen many new tubs and showers cracked. I won't buy any more period. Then my supplier recently told me that the price on the fiberglass units will be going down. I believe he has found another manufacturer or something like that. So I am more than happy to try those. Even without fiberglass, I would rather move toilets, or remodel bathrooms to fit a steel tub rather than use ABS tubs. Might lose some jobs that way, but I just a soon the customer get's mad at someone else rather than get a bad rep.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.