Bathroom Drywall thickness?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

I only need to drywall the upper 24" above the shower on 3 sides. Would 3/8 Green Board be suitable?

I thought of adding insulation also to keep the sound down and add a little warmth.

One wall is outside and the other 2 are interior.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
flcruising

3/8" greenboard should be fine. I would recommend paperless myself because of the high humidity and possible splashing.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Jim from Canada

If it is above the shower I would use concrete board. This will take a lot more humidity abuse than even moisture/mold resistant dry wall. Don't use regular dry wall in any part of the bathroom. It is a high humidity area.

Jim
blbrade1

green board willbe fine but where you are insulating for sound remember the water pipes are where most of the noise is comming from so be sure to get that insulation between the pipes and the rest of the house so it will help keep the noise down alot of people make the mistake of puttin inso on the wrong side of the pipes and end up keeping noise out of the room instead in
Carpenters Rule!!!!!!
oldfart

Lorne before I get off on some longwinded rant lemme ask a question. You said you only needed to drywall the 24 inches ABOVE the shower..right? 24 inches above the shower? How high are your bathroom ceilings? Is the shower 24in. deep..as in from outside to the back wall? Or do you mean the area directly above the shower itself..as in the ceiling proper? The reason I'm asking is I have about 6in. of wall-to-ceiling area showing above the sidewalls of my shower stall. (a standard height shower enclosure...) I used 1/2in M/R (moisture resistant) drywall thruout my bathroom. The 3/8's M/R doesn't seem to be available in my area. The new style moisture&mold res. drywall is now available. A bit late for me... but nonetheless. So far I haven't had a problem but sometimes I wonder if I might have been better off to apply a waterproof laminate (ABS sheeting..) in the area from the top of the shower wall to the ceiling and possibly even on the ceiling directly above the entire shower stall. Like I said..so far no problem. Used a good quality primer (2 coats) and quality "bathroom rated" paint on the drywall. And yes..there are paints rated for bathrooms which will withstand moisture better than standard wall paint!! As a matter of fact Consumer Report had an article on just this subject not long ago. One of the best is also one of the most affordable...and at WalMart! Goooo figger! ;) Yup..the drywall is very important. So is the paint ya put on it. JMHO of course. Audie..the Oldfart...
Lorne

Well, lets see here.
From the floor to the highest point on the ceiling it's 97" and tapers down to 92".
The top of the showers panels is 77 3/4", which includes the additional 3/4" of added plywood to level the shower floor (Receptor), fancy term for Pan.

So, I have from 77 3/4" up to as high as 97" to drywall, tape and texture, AND THEN 2 undercoats and at least 1 coat of Exterior Siding Paint.
Looks like 17.25 Sq ft of Green Board plus a little bit here and there.

Hey, if it holds up great of the vinyl siding then what the heck.

Plus, the new shower SPOUT will be 80" high.

I spent a whole $21.00 today for an 8" Shower valve with two cheap plastic knobs. I'm just trying to wash and don't care about how it looks. I'm going to keep the shower spout. It's only 22 years old and "Spouts" real good.

Have a good day, OldFlagelator (fart sound bad.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
oldfart

HOLY CRAP! Lorne...hold my beer here while I grab the other end of this tape measure....! Yer sayin' the walls in yer bathroom are over 8ft. high! Jaysus! The highest point in my home is.....lemme put this ciggerette down and kick the cat out of the way...find my bi-focals and..&^%@%^!*!!...gotta' move the sofa to find the soft spot where my last ex-wife fell thru the floor....*&%$)$@@!!!...hand me back that beer.....O.K....got it....84inches high. 7 feet! With a hole in the floor the size of...my ex wife. Poop! O.K. Lorne..you win. Hmmm...? I'd still advise a good bathroom paint on M/R drywall. Audie..the flabbergastedoldfart.....aka..vieho pasada...;)