Counter trim

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

LisaBoyer

We are putting in granite tile on the kitchen counter, and since the tiles are large, I would like to use a wood trim on the edges, stained to match the floor. My question, is that we were told to use screws, not nails, when attaching plywood to the existing counter, but since we aren't doing that process on the edges, will a strong construction glue work to attach the trim? I hate to have nail marks, then try to fill it in to match the stain, or worse yet, large screw heads. I found a professional grade glue, contractors strength, says it will grab and hold anything...

I wanted to thank everyone for sharing their projects here, you have no idea how inspirational they are. I was once of the mindset that a mobile home is not able to look any better then when it rolled off the assembly line, you all have shown me how wrong that is! :mrgreen:
ponch37300

I've done a couple tiled counter tops for family members, non in a mobile home but I've always made my own edge trim out of oak. Bought some 1x2s oak boards and cut to size and routed a decorative edge on it. I always use trim screws to attach it and then fill the holes with wood putty and stain and poly it. Trim screws have a very tiny head, just bigger then a finish nail head. I would not trust just glue.

Also make sure you use caulk between the tile and trim and not grout. Always caulk anywhere two different planes meet.
Greg

IMG_7569.JPG
This is the Oak trim I used on our's, Most any home store should have it.

Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
gtpvette

Lisa,,,
What is the edge of the couter made of?? If it's wood I would think construction adhestive would work. You would need to clamp it somehow as it won't stay by itself. When I did mine, I put construction adhesive (comes in a tube like caulk) on the trim and nailed it with a brad nailer. I nail gun works really good on these types of projects.
aaroncgi

We made and attached wood trim to our new laminate countertops, as the store wanted a fortune to provide that service for us, and didn't have the profile or wood type we wanted, anyway. We used 3/4" thick by 1.5" high jatoba, screwed to the countertop substrate, with caulking between the edge of the countertop and trim. We then plugged the holes with a contrasting wood. It's basically the same as what ponch did, except we used hardwood plugs to cover the screw holes. I can provide some pictures later. Greg's option looks good, too.