Electric hot water heater replacement

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ljh321

I am planning to buy an older mobile home and need to install an electric hot water heater. I find some for sale that are called "mobile home hot water heaters". Other than the limitation that the water heater needs to fit in the allocated space, is there any reason that one needs to purchase one specifically made for mobile homes?
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site!

As long as it is electric you can purchase anyone that space permits. Gas has to be MH approved.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
ljh321

Thanks for confirming my expectation.
Harry

Hi

They do sell water heaters for mobile homes.

Those "mobile home hot water heaters" you saw probably meet the following HUD code:

HUD Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standard Title 24, CFR; 3280.707

(d) Performance efficiency. (1) All automatic electric storage water
heaters installed in manufactured homes shall have a standby heat loss not exceeding 43 watts/meter\2\ (4 watts/ft\2\) of tank surface area. The method of test for standby loss shall be as described in section 4.3.1 of Household Automatic Electric Storage Type Water Heaters.

Harry

PS: I'd wrap the WH with an insulation blanket.
PSS: I'd also set it in a pan.
PSSS: Mark's Repair Manual Chapter 15 covers water heaters
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
thebink

I recently changed from a traditional water heater to a on demand system. I love it. I got mine on ebay, I had to change the breaker to support the unit when it first comes on and I had to upgrade the wiring. But check this out, My house is all electric and my electric bill used to be over $400 a month. After putting this on demand system it cut my electric bill in half. plus I don't ever run out of hot water. JUST A SUGGESTION
betty_joanne

thebink wrote:I recently changed from a traditional water heater to a on demand system. I love it. I got mine on ebay, I had to change the breaker to support the unit when it first comes on and I had to upgrade the wiring. But check this out, My house is all electric and my electric bill used to be over $400 a month. After putting this on demand system it cut my electric bill in half. plus I don't ever run out of hot water. JUST A SUGGESTION
What make and model on demand system did you get? Is it electric? Is it a whole house system?
Barb P

Are there any safety issues in using one not labeled specifically for manufactured housing?
I'm having a devil of a time finding one to fit the alloted space.
Other issues also, but that's for 'off topic'.
BarbP
Yanita

Hi,

As previously stated, ANY electric hot water heater will work,get one to fit your space requirements. Gas needs to be MH rated.

Yanita
Barb P

I forgot to look in Mark's book. The answer was right there in black&white. Duh!
Thanks Yanita :D
BarbP
Yanita

Hi,

Your welcome and I consider this thread answered and will lock it off now.

Yanita