furnace problems

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

dieselrob27

Hey everyone, first post and hoping for help......

I own an older 70s mobile home up here in Michigan and encountered a problem, now that its colder the furnace has been coming on. Each time it comes on it blows hot air that smells like rotten food(not eggs) I have checked for gas leaks, changed filters and have found nothing. A coworker of mine had the same problem and she said they replaced the limit switches.... dont know how that would cause a smell but... Who knows?

I have basic tools and am willing to learn and being a budget I am unable to call and have an expert look at it.

Its a Duo-therm D-8914

Model number- 76003-9

Serial number-04822
DaleM

Check your duct work for a dead critter.
dieselrob27

Did that but mainly found dust, today after work I pulled the blower out and vacuumed up all the dust and dirt and blew out the blow with an air compressor.

So far no smell, but I'll keep everyone posted if it changes
DaleM

Any chance you have an older air conditioner with flex ducts connecting it to the home's ductwork? If so, there could be water or a dead critter sitting in those old flex ducts. Just a thought.