Need attic access for electrical problem

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mebginc

Have a 1993 Southern Energy DW. I have a bank of wall plugs in the kitchen that are dead. Electrician came out and found that the lead wall plug had no power from the panel. He said the breaker had power coming out but no power at the plug. He concluded there must be a break in one of the wires from the panel to the plug and we need to get into the attic to check. Of course, no attic access. Anyone have suggestions on how I can create my own small access? I have a good size walk in closet and might could cut a hole in the ceiling and frame one in but wanted to check here first for suggestions. BTW, these are not GFI protected plugs, they work fine..
Mike
flcruising

You will find that 99% of MH's have branch circuits run below the floor joists, not overhead. If you can find an access panel in the belly material underneath a tub or shower on the side of the home you need to work, you may be able to stick your head up there and look down the gap between the joist and the insulation and locate the wiring. Also, if your electrician pulled the cover from the circuit panel to check the branch at its source, then he should have verified which direction the wire exits the panel (up or down). I would double-check this before cutting any access holes in the ceiling. Electrical advise is not allowed to be given on this site, but be aware that even if you do locate the break in the wire, per code, it must remain accessible via a junction box if you repair with wire nuts. My suggestion is abandon that wire and have him run a new continuous feed underneath.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
mebginc

Thanks for the reply, yes the electrician pulled the panel cover and all of my wires are going out the top except for the two main that come in from the bottom. He told me that if we couldn't get access then he would run a new wire to the plug.
Greg

Hi & welcome. Most of the homes here run the wires through the walls about 18" off the floor. If you have aluminum siding it may be an easy way to gain access just by removing the screws and opening up the outside panels. I agree that most have the circuits piggybacked from one outlet to the next, so if you loose it in one the rest past that are dead.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I think it would probably be easier and faster to run a new wire than trying to examine the existing conduit break. I would go through the floor joists, myself.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Spydrweb1977

There could also be a GFI outlet before that area that has tripped. I have seen bathroom GFIs tied to outlets in areas that you would not expect... worth taking a look. Also if your outlets are "backstabbed" instead of wired to the side terminals, that can also be a cause. I really don't see a break in the line being the most likely problem.
1987Commodore

I have one GFI outlet in the master bath which controls the outside outlet, the one under the home for the heat tape, and both bathrooms. strangely enough, no GFI protection in the kitchen.
DaleM

Before tearing things apart, check the connections that join the circuits together from one half of the home to the other. The connectors they use are pretty crappy. I usually cut those away and wire things up direct inside a junction that I install. Those connections are located at the marriage line underneath the home at the front and/or back usually within 5' of the end of the unit.