humidity control using bathroom fan

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

hotrod53

I have had this question on my mind for a while....my bathroom fan had a humidistat to control humidity. Is it recommended or safe to let this run when the home is unoccupied for weeks at a time? Would it do me any good? My home is in the mountains and humidity/dampness is an issue, the windows are closed and the blinds are partially drawn, is this the way to prevent it? I am currently running a dehumidifier all summer.
Mark
Site Admin

An a/c or dehumidifier is the best way to remove humidity.

Guess I've never heard of a humidistat on a bathroom fan. Definitely not an idea that has caught on! Personally I'd bypass the humidstat and use the fan when you shower & such. I don't think your gaining much in the effort to reduce humidity with the fan running all the time except in super high humidity levels, like when you shower.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
hotrod53

If it's not something that people are responding to, you might be right....it didn't catch on. I took the fan apart a few years ago and disconnected that part of it. Actually my fan was noisy and I took it apart to clean and lube it when I got zapped with 120V, that is how I figured out that it was fed two ways, switched and no switch. I actually disconnected it because I was afraid to let it run for weeks at a time with no one there.
Yanita

Hi,

JMO here, but in your first post you said moisture/humidity is a problem in your area.

Do you have a moisture barrier under your home...in other words do you have a 6 mil ply plastic sheeting covering the ground from corner to corner, side to side of your home?

There are many threads on this if you care to do a search.

Just a thought,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Kellguy

Humidistats are now common in many stick-built homes, as are controllers on plenums which force fresh air into the home. The humidistat is commonly found in a hallway and it activates a bathroom fan.

In winter, there are very specific limits of humidity levels which are intended to prevent mould build-up and window condensation, both of which are primary products of high humidity.

In older mobile, high humidity is common due to the tight design (metal roofs and walls).

I would NOT disconnect the fan/humidistat, but I would also not leave it running for an extended period of time. Leave a few windows open about a 1/16 of an inch. Humidity levels will reduce dramatically when you are not there anyway.
hotrod53

Yanita, you are exactly correct, I need to put my vapor barrier down. I currently do not have one other than the belly insulation.
Yanita

Hi Hotrod,

Also make sure that your vents are open during the year, closed in the winter.

Do not allow weeds and bushes to obstruct the air flow .

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!