pilot lite

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DADDYO

there is a new hot water tank installed just 4 months ago,they installed gas one,it is for mobile homes.problem is the pilot lite went out in the middle of the nite,we didn't notice it out until the next day, tried liting it , it wouldn't lite,so we called the park here,4 days later they call to come see whats wrong ... the day before my nephew stopped by,he's a plumber,he fooled with it ,got it to lite,he said the button will go down then click alittle more down,holding the button and click the igniter button.. with that it works... question is , why did the pilot go out ? i suspect wind blew down the new chimney pipe that was installed with the new tank,is it to short? is the top cover the right one ? or is this jus a freak thing ?
Greg

You may need to add to the height of the chimney or a different style cap. I would leave it for now and keep an eye on it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

See if it goes out again when it's windy. If so, an extension of the chimney to a point slightly higher than the roof peak should do it.
What can happen is that the wind will swirl as it encounters nearby obstacles, and come down the chimney, blowing out the pilot.
DADDYO

thanks for replies... i will watch it ...