exterior vapor wrap

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

BC

I have 2001 double wide mobile home that I just moved to my farm and had rest up. I had the sideibg left of because I am making sure it is sealed properly. My question is can I vapor wrap the exterior of the home. My walls are sheet rock,insulation and on the exterior fiber board then the sideing. Can I put a vapor wrap on my walls with this set up.
Greg S

You should definitely be installing house wrap, you should not install a vapour barrier on the out side.
House wrap is a water barrier not a vapour barrier.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
BC

Yes,vapor barrier is what I am talking about. I can not understander why they did not installed vapor barrier at the factory.
BC

I'm sorry did it again water barrier is what I don't understand why did not install at factory.
Greg S

The simple answer to the question is - it's a manufactured home. The primary goal of the manufacturer is to save/make money not provide the best quality product. Quality costs money which would push the sale price beyond some buyers limits. Every possible corner is cut to save money.
This means only meeting, not exceeding, minimum code requirements.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

Vapor barrier or House wrap? I would go with Tyvec or other house wrap. It will allow the home to breathe.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."