New Tankless Water Heater Install (PICS)

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jpingram5

Installed my new Tankless Water Heater over the weekend. My 50 gal electric had about a foot of sediment in it and the lower element would just burn up or constantly stay running. I was at the supply house when I spotted this unit sitting in a rough looking box. It had a dent on the top corner but did not affect the performance or internal parts. A little tape to seal the door and its good to go. This is the Rinnai RC80i model for Propane Gas. It runs around 96.5% Efficient, is a sealed combustion system that uses a 5" direct concentric vent. And is "Certified" recently to be used in "Manufactured/Mobile Homes".

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can run 2 Showers & Dishwasher all at the same time and have good pressure and never run out of hot water. I already tested it :) . Even better is this unit can be paired with a hot water coil and actually heat my home! So its a 96.5% Gas Boiler that does Hot Water & can heat the home with a hot water coil! Got a great deal on it couldn't pass it up.

Real easy to install. I decided to flush my 50 gal out but leave it in the loop and use it as a storage tank so now it acts as a pre-heater before it enters the tankless. Keep the water lines inside the home so I didnt have to run underneath made it easy plus in the laundry I really don't care seeing them. Feed with a 3/4" Gas line and vented out the side wall with the 5" concentric vent kit. Best part was it is a 120v 15amp single breaker and I plugged it in with my washer. Both can run together with no problems, the Rinnai tankless draws very little.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
Greg S

Are you on city water or a pressurized well system.
Some (maybe all) on demand systems operate on a pressure sensor and normally shut off when water pressure drops below a certain point. We have one owner in our park with on demand that will not operate when pressure drops below 30psi. This often happens during peek demand times such as first thing in the morning.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
jpingram5

Yes most do have a minimun pressure. This unit requires at least 50psi. It is off a well system and i measured the water pressure before hand and it was a steady 80psi. The good thing is I left my electric tank in place with the electric left in an given if there were to be a problem i simply turn a few valves and flip the breaker for the tank to operate.
Greg

OH NO!!!! DENTS!!! Matches our refrigerator. Looks good,Rannai make great products.

Any idea on the pay back time?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

Well Greg, for that he'd have to give us a hint on that great deal too!

I take it you were already running propane even though you have an electric tank heater?

Can't make out much on the vent, but does it intake and exhaust the same pipe?
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

I can't say about the water heater, but their Kero.heaters use a center exhaust pipe with an outer intake in the section that goes through the wall.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
jpingram5

Yea its a concentric vent kit intake and exhaust together. The exhaust is plastic also due to the lower flue temps its ok. I have propane for central heat also but the furnace is only 80%. So im thinkin of using a hydronic air handler cuz the tankless is big enough to heat my home and it retains its 96% rating. I have three kids and a cousin staying with us. So thats 6 people taking a shower everyday. By the third you would have to wait and etc etc. This has certainly made a big difference in my situation. Now if your a small family maybe only 3 people at the most i dont think you would see a big benefit from it. My last electric bill was 160 then i had the tankless on for about 2 weeks in my next bill cycle and i was at 118. Now my next bill will be with havin the tankless for the whole cycle.
jpingram5

Finally got the electric bill! This is now with the water heater on for a full bill cycle. I went from $178 last year to $85 now!! Gas tank has went down 3% in about 1 1/2 months on use. And the price of electric from last year was only 1 cent higher. So basically I have seen around a $80 saving right off the bat! At this rate it will pay itself off in a year and a half!!! Best investment so far!
jpingram5

Almost forgot to let you all in on the deal I got on it. Normally from the supply house the contractor price is $1,350 - $1,500 depending on how well you can normally work the counter people over. I got this unit for $860. Now the for the vent kit & the isolation kit ran me about another $120. I had the gastite and misc stuff already laying around. So in all it ran me about $1,000 with tax. Normally that would have been $1,600+. Good deal I'd say.