outward opening door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

terrifromohio

I have an outward opening door in the back. it is a typical trailer door. I can not afford to have it replaced at this time. We are having break ins. Is there any thing I can do? Is there a sensor alarm, I am looking for something really loud I can buy from anywhere to attach to it to go off to sound an alarm or anything like that.

Terri
Greg

Our security system looks like this. The only problem is for a few dog bones they will help carry what ever you want.
[img]
IMG_7568.JPG
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
terrifromohio

Greg,

Thanks, beautiful dog. But I have cats. As you know they are not good security, so need something else. Looking for some type of alarm to attach that will go off if door is opened and where to buy it.
JD
Site Admin

Many years ago, an Amway salesperson showed me a small alarm with a loop on top that you hang from a door knob. This thing was crazy loud!

Use 'door knob security alarm' in google and there are a lot of examples. Seems like the cheap ones ($7-$15) are not loud and have bad reviews.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
flcruising

Maybe something like this would work as well...

http://www.amazon.com/Doberman-SE-0109- ... hi_title_0

One of the reviewers said you can get alarms at Dollar Tree; might be worth a look.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Norm Frechette

this would scare them away

bobfather99

Norm and Greg are on the right track here, lol!!!

An easy way would be to screw a 2x4 across the door and frame from the inside. That way they would have to pry out the door and the frame to get in, and that would require strength and make lots of noise. Its an easy removal as well.

Criminals prefer an easy target, thats why they kick in cheap doors or look for unlocked ones. Get to know your neighbors, if you have them, and keep an eye out for each other.
Tip your bartender.....
terrifromohio

flcruising wrote:Maybe something like this would work as well...

http://www.amazon.com/Doberman-SE-0109- ... hi_title_0

One of the reviewers said you can get alarms at Dollar Tree; might be worth a look.
Thank You I just ordered one from Amazon. The Doberman, it looks exactly what I wanted.
I have guns in the house but I would not be able to hear if they break the back door open because I live in a doublewide and the back door is clear on the other side of the house with the furnace/air in the middle and its loud. I can`t hear anything back in the bedroon when its running.

Terri
Greg S

Why not just put a sliding bolt on the back door going into a metal plate on the door frame.
Would it not be a better idea to keep them out in the first place rather than wanting to know when they are in.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

If her's is like most doors that style, there is nothing solid to attach a sliding bolt to. Most doors that style are nothing more than 2 aluminum sheets glued to a foam or cardboard core. The best method may be to bolt 4 U brackets to the door, one low & one high and simply slide a 2x4 in it to lock the door shut.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

If someone really wanted to get in, they could just remove the 50 screws on the outside and pull off the whole assembly. Of course the ultimate solution would be to install a conventional inswing door, but does yours not have a deadbolt? Before I replaced ours, the only way to break in would have been to break the glass and reach in or remove the outside screws.

Let's hope the door alarm makes them wet their pants and leave behind some DNA ;)
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]