wood heating question

Share with us your alternative energy ideas and projects. Tell us about your experiments, no matter how far-fetched they may seem.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

mrstovar

Hi, I'm new here. We sre seriously considering buying a piece of land and moving a used trailer onto it for us to live in. We have always heated with wood and want to continue. I've read online that you have to use special mobile home approved stoves in trailers. How serious is this? Could we just install one of our currently in use stoves after the initial inspection and use that until we have more money? Are there any other solutions that would be easy on the budget? If there aren't, I need to know that before we commit ourselves. Thanks!
Greg

Hi & welcome. The reason for Mobile Home approved woodstoves (as well as gas water heaters) Is both for code & insurance. The idea behind the MH approved is they use outside air for combustion rather than deplete the inside air.

I would recommend that you talk to your insurance agent before installing one and get his take, some are sticklers others say it's OK.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mrstovar

Thanks. Yes, I could talk to our insurance people. We are with them especially because they are not so picky. They let us know what risks we are taking but aren't quick to refuse coverage, which I appreciate.