when the wind blows my chimney has a clanging noise...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

BillA

Whenever there is a decent breeze outside my chimney makes a clanging noise, almost sounds like someone tapping a metal stick against the inner chimney or something.

I had the chimney sweeeped out about 6 months ago and it was doing it before and after the sweep, just wondered what this might be (dutch 2000 model), its a real woodburning unit tho and I have tried to look up there with a flashlight but am not seeing anything visually loose or making the noise, but when i am in there with the flap open etc I can really hear it well, so its coming from that general area...

Any ideas?

Bill
Greg

You may end up on the roof during a wind storm to find it. I would pull the cap off and get a good look. It may be something near the pipe or even the flashing. Is it possible the the pipe is moving slightly from the wind?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bobfather99

Look for a possible foreign object in the pipe that rattles around in the wind too. Ive found a few walnuts and acorns put up there from the local squirrels. Could also be the flapper itself rattling around inside the pipe.
Tip your bartender.....
Norm Frechette

bobfather99 wrote:Could also be the flapper itself rattling around inside the pipe.
thats what happens in the vent above my stove and microwave. its just the flapper/damper making a little noise. nothing for me to be alarmed about. it only happens on windy days.