TPO Roofs?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jswasky

Does anyone have any experience with TPO roofs. Thermoplastic Olefin or Polyolefin product. I have been getting roof quotes to replace a roof on a 1973 single wide mobile home that has a roof that starts out flat then gradually raises over the living room/kitchen, then slopes back down to flat. 4 bids and 4 different approaches. 1. raise the flat portion to meet the highest point, then apply metal roof. 2. pan roof; 3. tear off existing roof to plywood and rebuild with rolled roofing as originally manufactured. 4. TPO rubber roof. I'm leaning towards TPO but my concerns are maintenance (mildew, mold, etc) and punctures. The home is located in Florida and under trees. Any suggestions?
JD
Site Admin

I have worked on several TPO and PVC roofs. Many were 20 years old or older. They are repairable with products like Liquid Rubber and/or Eternabond roof tapes. They can get a bit chalky as they get old. I clean the repair areas with a scotchbrite pad and Simple Green. Don't use solvents, asphalt products or silicone. You might ask the roof manufacturer (not the contractor/installer) about the trees and the effect they would have on the TPO.

I would not build up any portion of the roof as the existing framing is not made to handle that.

Metal roof panels could work, but they can be problematic on these humpback roofs.

A rolled metal roof, like the original factory roof, can be installed over the existing roof (check FL code) if you use the aluminum instead of steel. You will need a layer of rigid foam to insulate the two roofs from each other.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
texan1

You might contact Perma Roofs from Southern Builders they may have an idea.We had them put on a new roof on our sw(dome) and it is awesome.They put 3"foam sheets then steel roof panels over that, said the wind test for their roof system was over 200mph and no lift.Friendly people too.
steelworkersgal

I'm getting ready to have Roof King put a new roof on our 16 X 80 home. Its all aluminum with Foil backed 3 inch foam sheets. They do all kinds of roofs, guarantee for 40 years. They do not put screw holes in the top of the roof they anchor it down around the perimeter of the home. Let me know if you want a contact number you can always go to their web sight. They will send you a nice package of information and names to contact if you want to speak with a home owner regarding their work
You can do anything if you put your mind to