Thanks ya'll

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sherry

Hey everyone,
I really didn't have a question, I just wanted to thank you all for this site. I love living in my double wide, but I got really sick of looking at the same ole walls everyday. (those awful trailer strips ) This site gave me the information and the courage to tear 'em down, mud and paint. (And my hubby said it couldn't be done) You should have seen the look on my husbands face when he walked in and I had mud a flying. He was really impressed with the finished project. My next project will be laminate flooring in my living room. I may have to get a box at a time (that stuff is kind of expensive) and I'm one of those hardworking poor people. Thanks again!
Sherry
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

Glad we had the info you were looking for. There are alot of variations on how and what to do with your walls. Glad you found one that works for you!

LOL, I do not think there is a women here that has not painted her home!

Since you have read thru the different post then you have seen the ones about laminates. Yes, certain brands and quality will play a large part of the price. Personally I recommend that you save your money and get all the flooring at the same time. Also get the best quality that you can afford!

I do not recommend laying (installing) a box at a time. The edges, (tongue and groove) can easily be damaged by foot traffic and furniture.

Glad you found us and look forward to your future contributions on the site!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
sherry

Yanita,
Thanks for the advice. I figured as much. My living room is 26 ft by 16 ft and its gonna take several boxes. I figured I would try to pick up a couple of boxes a week until I had enough (about 19 boxes). I found what I wanted at Lowe's, maybe it won't hurt my pocket book as bad if I just sort of buy it a little at a time. ( and maybe my husband won't have a heart attack when he sees how much this stuff costs)
sherry
Sylvia

Sherry, better to put the money in a cookie jar and wait it out and buy it all at the same time. Different boxes will likely have slightly different coloration. Always buy the same lot number when doing a project.
kashton

I would also suggest saving up and getting it all at once. I ran into a major problem with mine. I went to order more laminate, and when it arrived, the company changed the locking system. Same flooring by the same company, but they changed it. I had to shave down and then re-groove the locking edge to attach it to the laminate I had already laid. Now I have a slightly visible seam.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
sherry

I never thought about the fact that lots of laminate might be different in color. Thanks guys, you most likely saved me a lot of headaches later on. The money is going in the piggy bank until I have the total amount.
Sherry
Teatime

Just a suggestion. Check out the parquet flooring at Lowe's. I was going to do laminate until I found this stuff! It's real wood and it comes in squares (about 95 cents each).

It locks together and you set it down with wood glue. It's easier to install than laminate (my 18-year-old son and his friend did mine!) and the squares can easily be broken apart to fit around the registers and in odd places. I LOVE mine! It looks gorgeous!!!! You can do neat wood patterns and everything!

The WORST part was taking up the carpeting and padding. OMG, it was glued, stapled AND attached to nail strips!!!! LOL, they spared no expense on glue and staples when putting down this carpeting! It took the boys two days just to remove all of the staples and thick globs of dried glue. (I hope the rest of the home was constructed that well at the factory!)

Best wishes and have fun!
Julie
Yanita

Hi,

Although parquet flooring is beautiful, we recommend a laminate as it "floats" on the subfloor.

As you know our homes sustain some level of movement during the seasons. A wood that is glued to the subfloor might have a hard time staying adhered to the floor.

~Yanita~
sherry

I did consider the parquet flooring. It's really beautiful and I'll bet yours looks great. My sister actually topped a vanity in her guest bathroom with some. It was unfinished wood, she stained and put several coats of marine varnish. Her husband finished the edges with wood trim and it's beautiful. Keep in mind this is the guest bathroom vanity and sees little use. Something like that probably wouldn't hold up in my house. She did hers 5 or 6 years ago and it still looks great. I'm not looking forward to pulling up the carpet either. This home was a repo and the mobile home people ruined the carpet in the living room when they set it up. I pitched a fit about it and they paid to have new carpet installed. It's not that old but it seems to be the dirtiest carpet in the house. It's where we all hang out. How does parquet hold up in a bathroom or kitchen?
Sherry
sherry

sorry Yanita, I posted this question about parquet in a bathroom before I read your post on gluing--you answered my question. Not a good idea.
Sherry
sherry

Teatime,
Just out of curiosity, how has your floor held up? Any problems?
Sherry
Yanita

Hi Sherry,

No problem :D

There are many threads about laminate flooring.

Ultimately the decision is yours as to what you put in your home. We simply let people know what they pros and cons can be.

Personally I am against any wood floor in a bathroom, regardless if it is laminate, parquet or real. If this is put in a heavily used bathroom then you will have problems around the base of the toilet. Also when showering/bathing we all get water on the floor, this over time will cause problems.

Now if you choose the application in a guest bath, you could be fine. Water damage is the biggest problem with mobile homes. It takes very little to destroy a OSB or particle board sub floor. Many times we have leaks in the bathrooms from plumbing line failures.

Now the idea of a parquet over lay on a vanity sounds beautiful!

Just keep in mind that many things come into play with any upgrade/change to your home. Variables such as location, foundations and the differences between single and multi sectional homes also plays a factor.

Take care and keep asking questions.

~Yanita~
Teatime

Yeah, a few tiles have popped up a bit but they were easy to move/fix. As per the directions, we left a half-inch of space on the edges to allow for expansion. We didn't go crazy with the glue -- the squares lock together and it's staying down well.

Truth be told, we haven't finished along the walls yet because I'm waiting until the better foundation is installed and the house is leveled. I'll leave the half-inch along the walls then.

I have it in the living room and dining room. There is a LOT of cabinetry and woodwork in this house so the parquet floor brings it out beautifully. I wouldn't put parquet in the kitchen or bathrooms. The linoleum is best there, I think.

LOL, there was nothing wrong with the carpeting we took up and my son gave me a serious dress-down when he was pulling out all of the staples and scraping up the glue and padding! But with my disability, I can't easily push a vacuum cleaner and I don't like having carpeting in heavy-traffic areas. I have one of those robot vacuums to do the bedrooms.

Now, though, every time my son comes home, he looks at the floor and grins. He says it looks SO nice and he can't believe he (and his roommate) did it!

Julie