sheet rock, just wonderin

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

joedirt63

I've been doing some sheet rock on my 2 m/h and the thought occured to me when i was adding a wall in the kitcken. does it matter witch way you hang the sheet? i mean vertical or horizontal. the walls i put up are partition walls but they also hold up the kitshen wall cabs. i used 2x4 for the frame and 1/2" sheet . the wall is about 9 'long by 8' at the peak. so i used 4, 4x10 sheet and hung them horizontal. finished the seam and when primed and painted you couldn't tell where the seam was. been 3 years and with an active washing machine in the next room no crackes have been seen, yet the vertical panels that i filled and sanded have cracks in them. did this all at the same time. was it just my dumd luck or am i on to something with this method? thanks joe.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

Well Joe, You should have less seams showing horizontal than vertical. And personally I think it is easier to sand a 4' seam than a 7'.Many sheet rock hangers use this method.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."