Insulation Questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

chkchkka

I have started replacing my flexible duct with insulated ducting (Dundas & Sufine) due to rodent invasion last winter. The existing ducting is a smoky transparent non insulated flexible vent duct, with spring wires. My HVAC sheet metal runs down the center of my modular home and the flexible ducting is run to the exterior walls, where the registers are. I have a heated water line (main) but that is all. No insulation on any of the water pipes. I am getting access to my ducts through the belly board and am using adhesive Flex-Mend Belly Tape where I cut. My home is supposed to have R-13 insulation underneath the sub-floor but there is at least 10-12" of air space below the sub-floor where the HVAC sheet metal runs. Closer to the exterior wall, there is 4-6” of space. I am also checking for holes in my belly board and have found several, which I have repaired. I also have gaps in the belly board around the perimeter of my home, which I am also repairing.

Should I add HEAT TAPE PLUG / END KIT to the water pipes above the insullation to keep from freezing? What kind of pipes Insulation should I use, if I don't use the Heat tape Plug (live in MO)? Any recommendations?

Since I have to replace my insulation due to rodents’ excrement, how much space should be between the sub-floor and the insulation? It also appears that the insulation is being supported by the belly board, no other support system.

I have a Coleman gas furnace Model DGAA070BDTA. My home is 14’ X 72’ and is 6 years old. I also have a problem with my HVAC duct (sheet metal). Is there an expert on this website I could ask some questions?Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Greg

I was answering your question in the HVAC section as you were posting this question.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."