Smoke Detectors

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

squirt13

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if you can disconnect the hard wired smoke decetors and replace them with battery operated ones. I have one hard wired one in each half of my house, but they are placed in the worse places. I want to either remove them totally and place new battery powered one over the doorways or move the ones I have.

Right now they are located in the middle of the wall next to a door. I want to place them over the top of each door in the same wall that they currently are on.
PennylessZ28

I unplugged mine, capped them and put blanks over the outlets and have 3 battery powered ones in the home now as opposed to the original two.

Everything here is fine. I'm sure someone will chime in and tell me what a horrible idea this is. :roll:
Maureen

Hi Squirt,

Yep, just take them down and cap them off as Mike suggested! It's fairly simple if you have basic knowledge of electrical repairs.

Personally, I like at least one detector in the living area of the home, and another in each bedroom. Because we have such a large living area, living room, dining room, kitchen and family room, I have one detector in the living area, another in the far area of the family room. Each bedroom has their own detector.

If you're not absolutely sure how to cap off electrical wires. Hire a pro! It would be a minimal cost for this.

Mike, just calm down please. Realize that others on this board have been living in mobile homes since before you were born. Not all of your ideas are bad, it's that most of us are older and more experienced. Some of us have been answering questions on this board for the last 9 years, we speak from experience! Learn from our experience! We appreciate the input, but don't take it badly when you're corrected!

Like I tell my boys, ages 34 to 19, listen to those that have gone before and learn! If this wasn't clear enough, learn form our mistakes.....

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
JD
Site Admin

The top of the alarm should be no less than 4" from the ceiling and no more than 12". On some wired alarms, the alarms are wired to all go off if one alarm is triggered.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
hvac1000

JD is correct. Code states that when one goes off they all go off. That was the reason for the code change years ago by HUD.

Usually there is a 3 wire circuit for the hard wire type detectors. On hot leg a neutral and a traveler trigger wire to make them all go off at one time.

Smoke detectors are cheap and they do not last forever as some folks may think. I would replace the ones you have with the same setup (hard wired with battery back up). Then if you wish you ban ad the battery back up units where ever you want. This keeps the home legal as far as code goes.

Please read the instructions that come with the detectors. If installed incorrectly as in a dead air space they will not go off as soon as they are supposed to in a fire situation. Some detectors are a little different that others but they usually have a minimum and maximum from walls and ceiling assembly's.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Greg

Personally, I feel as long as you have WORKING detectors I would not care if they are hard wired or battery operated. Code would come into play when the home is sold (or rented). Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

One more word, if you change to battery operated alarms, I also suggest a CO detector , if you have gas appliances!

You need to change the batteries no less than once a year!!!!!!!!!

Better yet, change them once every 6 months! Your life depends on these!

We didn't have hard wired in this home. Since it was a '73 we didn't really have much! They had 2 poorly placed detectors. The very first thing that we did was replace the old detectors!

As JD stated, it's very important to follow manufactures instructions as far as installation goes!

Maureen 8)
'Plato'
Harry

Hi

I have the 2 original hard wired smoke detectors plus 3 newer battery operated that I added after I purchased the home.

Also we go over our fire exit plan periodically. Suffice it to say we're outside at the first sign of smoke/fire.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

Just another thought here...not completely off topic...

Take a look around your home and see how many of your windows are blocked by heavy furniture. Remember that our windows are design to push out when needed as an emergency exit.

Also we kept fire extinguishers on each end of the hallway, furnace was located in the center of the hall. This allowed for use regardless of where you were in the home.

Do not forget to have one somewhere in the kitchen...BUT, not above or close to cooking surfaces in the kitchen, or stuffed under the sink way in the back! Periodically check the extinguishers for a full charge. Make sure you have the right extinguisher for your home.

Just my thoughts,

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Good point Yanita!

Yes, we have 3 extinguishers in our home. One in the master bath, which is near the water heater, but not close. Another is located in the pantry, away from any cooking appliance, cook top and wall oven. The third is located in the living room coat closet.

What you want is small ABC rated fire extinguishers. These will take care of all fires.

Like Yanita said, you need to make sure that they are easily accessible to everyone in your family. Also make sure you know how to use one!

Maureen 8)
'Plato'