Replacement Hotwater Heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

tmcbrear

I'd like to replace the hotwater heater in my mobilehome(built in 1971). It is located in a built in cabinet accessed from outside the mobilehome. The capacity is rather small and I would like to put in a 50 gal but that will not fit the rather small space for the heater now.

I'm looking for some suggestions to fit the larger unit and still keep it outside the mobile itself.

TJ
Greg

TJ, You have a few options here. You can measure up the space you have and find one that will fit, There may be a few different series of heaters that have different diameters (and prices) I am going to assume it is an electric unit.

An other option would be to relocate the unit to a larger area, usually a closet. You could also go with a demand type unit. I am not sold on this type of unit, they don't use any energy UNTIL you need hot water, then hang on to the electric meter as it tries to turn into a frizbee. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

A WH with an outside access door would have been gas originally. You can only fit a WH that will fit through the door. Sometimes you can install a larger door to fit a larger WH. Enlarging the compartment is usually not an option in older homes.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
tmcbrear

It's a gas hot water heater and I'm thinking that in order to put in a 50 gal unit I'm going to have use an exterior closet and put it in there. I live in California and wonder if this is a viable option? Enlarging the area that has the present one in it is not an option.

I think cost wise for the unit and staying with gas is probably the best solution any other thoughts to problem I may run into?

TJ